United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 07-19-2021, 10:10 AM
Quack Addict

Goose decoy

Anybody use any goose decoy floaters here in Florida? And i mean for duck hunting! May sound crazy, but thinking of getting a used pair, maybe re-painting as super magnum duck!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:37 PM
Quack Addict

Re: Goose decoy

Well, must be real wishful thinking but just ordered a 4 pack of floater Flambeau Canadas for 63$! I was doing therapy for my shoulder and by the clinic there are a couple of goose decoys and they look good- plus we have a growing population of urban egyptians and i will either pull in some ducks or frighten everything in sight but I don't believe these are illegal and there you go, will definitely get a laugh ot two but at least they are not greenheads! 😂
Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 AM
Sponsor Member

Many years ago I had a supervisor at work who happened to be a big time hunter including ducks. He grew up here in Gainesville and hunted Paynes Prairie before it was acquired by the State in 1970, and before highway 441 and I-75 were built across it. He hunted the prairie for ducks quite a lot and said it was unbelievably good back then, but I suppose that could be said for a lot of Florida back in the 50's and 60's.

Anyway, he said he would always use a pair of goose decoys as a regular part of his spread and was convinced it worked. His thinking was that for all the ducks coming down here from the north it was normal for them to see and mix with geese on the ponds and rivers up there so why not put out a couple for confidence decoys down here. It kind of makes sense so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. As duck hunters we're always looking for something to give us an edge, something different that no one else is using so why not give it a try.

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Quack Addict

Good to hear! My logic is similar! I won't bother to change the Canada color scheme, the black /white head/neck just might attract interest from ringers. The white heron confidence decoy last season worked. I use coots on the big lake but not down south as they virtually non-existent.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Scaup

Flamingo decoys work well too

I used to have a couple of geese that I used. They became a pain to haul around in my canoe so I ended up selling them. Not sure if they worked well or not but they made me happy since I had refurbished them and they looked nice among my plastic decoys.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:11 AM
Quack Addict

They are cumbersome! But since I don't use many total blocks, can accomodate these! I touch them up with fresh paint before every season. Might as well have good-looking ones, countless hours they will be sitting there! Scouting is a big factor but positive thought and confidence are important also! Accentuating the black/white colors definitely attracts the aythya collaris!
Old 07-23-2021, 05:15 PM
Sponsor Member

Who knows, you just might be regaled as the duck whisperer and become the envy of everyone around when all the ducks flock to your spread and commit suicide!

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:33 PM
Quack Addict

I could claim some knowledge on ringers, 40+ years (seems like only yesterday getting my first) of hunting them. The rest you could say are exotics, but I am not one to complain, and thank God for every marsh morning or turkey wood venture. Used to see more woodies here- I now see more each spring in the cypress sloughs. I do feel like a king when I see those first ringers appear in late October/early November!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: