United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > UW-F Public Forum

Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 AM
UW-F Executive Director

Update on STAs

All the STAs will be open for Early Season as per the Application Page. The Morning Hunt Standby will be by the new Assigned Number program. The Afternoon Hunt Standby will be by a drawing at the Check Station.

The First Session of Regular Season will have a limited number of permits available for STA 2. (this is NEW INFORMATION) These permits will be issued via the Stage Four Reissue. There is a small chance we will be able to have hunting on a portion of STA 2 during the Second Session. These permits would be Applied For and issued as per the normal Vendor Draw process.

The Regular Season Saturday Hunts on STA 1W will not be available. Hunting on STA 1W will be on Friday and Sunday on the EXTENSION. (we are working with the contractor in hopes of some help that would allow the Saturday hunts, but no news yet).

The STAs are managed under a Federal Court Order to reduce Phosphorous in the storm runoff from the EAA and some Lake Water. Public Access is restricted and we appreciate any opportunity to have hunting where possible on these marshes.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Update on STAs

One thing Newton forgot to mention is that the check station locations for almost all of the STA's have changed for this coming season, with the exception of 3/4...

Information on the locations are available in the brochures..
Old 09-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Quack Addict

Hunted the new side of STA-1 and thanks to all to make it happen as soon as it did.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 PM
UW-F Executive Director

Interested in comments on the new Morning Walk in program...and how the ADDITION at STA 1 W worked out with the Parking Spots...and habitat....Any info I will need to address the situations with the SFWMD and FWC folks...
Thanks
Old 09-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Teal

I was not drawn for any of the standby permits, but I analyzed the list after my application still showed as "Draw Pending" even after the list was posted. In my analysis of the standby list I found that 44 customer ids were on the list for at least 2 standby permits and 3 of those 44 had 3 standby permits. If the idea was to make it harder to get a permit or standby spot then the process was a complete success.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:20 AM
UW-F Executive Director

The Stand By draw system purposely allows people to "get lucky" and get more than one permit. This is to better "replicate" the Lottery Draw at the Check Station system where a hunter could go out several mornings and put his name in the hat, hoping to be called...If the hunter got lucky and was drawn for a morning, they could still go out other days during the season and put their name in the hat...
Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 PM
Teal

Hi Newton,

If the intention was to replicate the morning lottery draw then there should be a separate draw for each week of the season instead of one draw for multiple weeks. Also on the FWC standby page it states

Application and Issuance: Applicants may submit one application and receive up to one standby opportunity in Phase I. Standby opportunities are issued by random drawing during Phase I. Each hunter may be randomly drawn for one standby opportunity during each of four waterfowl application periods. It's possible applicants could be awarded as many opportunities as they apply for in Phase I. However, applicants may not be awarded more than one standby opportunity per day. During phase II Leftover, standby opportunities are issued on a first-come, first-served basis.

I think it needs to be clarified how a person can “receive up to one standby opportunity in Phase I” and and “be awarded as many opportunities as they apply for in Phase I”.

Feel free to contact me directly thru either PM or email to discuss this further.

D. Bontjes
Old 09-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Quack Addict

Any hunting reports? I figure the STA's might be an early migration indicator. I know Newton sai cattails were profuse in some cells. Don't worry, i have not been to or intend to go there, just asking. On another thread i reported the big O does not look too promising, though the present 15.4' level does make navigation a lot more straight line.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Quack Addict

[QUOTE=Raul G;343831]Any hunting reports? I figure the STA's might be an early migration indicator. I know Newton sai cattails were profuse in some cells. Don't worry, i have not been to or intend to go there, just asking. On another thread i reported the big O does not look too promising, though the present 15.4' level does make navigation a lot more straight line.

http://myfwc.com/media/24646/2020-20...ation-data.pdf
Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Quack Addict

Thank you! Sta 3/4 obvious winner! Not so the other. Did not know this data would be so quickly posted on the fwc site!