United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 09-07-2021, 08:40 AM
Quack Addict

Waterfowl parka

Looking for recommendations for a duck hunting parka for use here in Florida. My original Columbia quad parka I outgrew and gave to my nephew- wish they still made it! My Mad dog parks fell apart and it leaks. Budget is max 200$. Sitka looks good but seems like overkill and too much $. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Waterfowl parka

The good thing about the Columbia quad was the removable liner vest, which was only needed for a handful of days, most times I wore only the outer jacket, which was warm enough and not too much, and was waterproof (gortex). I wore it in Texas goose hunting one January and with the vest was great!
Old 09-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Sponsor Member

I've been using a Columbia Widgeon wading jacket the last several years and really like it. Even though it doesn't have a removable liner it's pretty warm as I usually wear it over my breathable waders and I can just put on another layer underneath on those rare days when it's under 40 degrees.

If you prefer the longer length of a parka then Columbia has their Men's PHG Widgeon OutDry Extreme Parka on sale for $249.90. It's a bit above your price point but a good buy nonetheless. Here's a link to their website.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-phg-...olor=947&pos=1

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:46 PM
Quack Addict

Columbia should never have stopped making the quad parka. It was lightweight and warm- went to the local BPS and all they had was some Redhead brand, weighed
a ton, and I was not impressed. The full length parka is what I want, I hardly ever wear waders any more, and with the high water the past few seasons, unworkable. Just thinking of any cool weather inspires hope!
Old 09-10-2021, 03:46 PM
Sponsor Member

I've not been too impressed with the Redhead brand line of camo clothes. Like you say, they seem way too heavy and just aren't of the same quality you get with Columbia. Even the Cabela's brand has fallen off ever since they were bought out by BPS, too bad as I always thought they had first rate stuff at a good price point. It might be worth it to spend a few more dollars on a Columbia parka. It will last quite a few years so if you do a cost analysis it's not all that much for each year you have it. I think we duck hunters can justify pretty much anything if we think about it.

I wear my breathable waders for just about every hunt now, I've also got some insulated ones I wear on those days the mercury dips below 45 or so. I don't usually wade when I hunt, but I can wear what I want underneath depending on the temperature and they keep me dry when launching and reloading the boat as well as picking up the decoys. It's nice to pull them off after a hunt and get back in the truck with dry clothes. And the plus side is that if it's a hot day I can just wear my shorts underneath. Where else can you say that except for Florida?

Old 09-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Quack Addict

Your post has prompted me to pull out of storage my breathable waders and maybe put them into use for the regular season. Hoping we get a measure of cold weather this winter, I can't handle the heat like I used to!
Old 09-11-2021, 07:04 PM
Quack Addict

The Cabelas dry-plus uninsulated waders are in fine like new condition. I had forgotten they are size 14, usually I use 13 but a size bigger makes them easy on/off! Right now light mesh pants are needed!
Old 09-12-2021, 12:09 PM
Sponsor Member

I used to wear camo pants and knee boots when hunting out of my boat, but years ago the technology and price of waders made it such that it just made sense to go with the light breathables for just about every hunt. Now I don't worry about getting wet from an unexpected rain shower, picking up and handling wet decoys (or ducks), or whether I can get the boat back on the trailer without wading in over the top of my knee boots. A case of working smarter and not harder I suppose, plus I do like the idea of wearing pretty much anything I want underneath, including the occasional shorts on those days with above average temps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: