United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 06-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Quack Addict

Hearing protection

Any recommendations for hearing protection while hunting? Been using some cheap foam inserts but hoping for something better that is not too pricey! At the range i use typical muffs but these are not practical for the duck blind. Trying to save what hearing i have left! I know this was discussed here a long time ago but can't get the "search" function to work!
Old 06-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Sponsor Member

Re: Hearing protection

Haven't been on here in a while, been practicing my social distancing just about everywhere, including online. I have to confess that I don't always use hearing protection when hunting by myself, not worried about someone touching one off next to my head, but I know I should use it all the time and am trying to get better.

Interesting you say the muffs aren't practical for the duck blind, I would think those would be the ticket, especially if you are comfortable shooting with them at the range. I've been using the Walker's Alpha electronic ear muffs for quite a few years now, especially when hunting with others, and have to say I'm happy with them. I like the fact that I get the amplified sounds which makes it easier to hear ducks (and other things) I might not otherwise know are around while knowing I get the noise suppression I need to help save my hearing.

I bought my muffs 7 or 8 years ago (and surprisingly enough they still work after all this time) for something like $49 or maybe $59 and thought it was a good investment. Even if they only last 4 or 5 years I feel that's still not much to pay to protect my hearing. Once these finally quit working I'll get another pair of electronic muffs as I like the fact I can still hear and carry on a conversation with them on my head. But to answer your question, other than muffs I can't recommend anything as I've never had a reason to look for other options. Not sure that helps, but that's all I've got.

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:17 PM
Quack Addict

Thanks! Found a pair of Walkers slim muffs on sale! I have the little foam earplugs too. Might as well retain the hearing i presently have. Won't use them for turkey since that is at most a two shot per season reality, and walking many miles with those muffs is not desirable.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Sponsor Member

A couple of the guys I shoot trap with use both earplugs and muffs for near total hearing protection. They're in their mid 70's so want to save what hearing they have left, although I don't believe they ever hunted so they likely don't have that to deal with.

Since I retired I've been thinking of spending the money and getting some custom in the ear protectors. I've heard good reports on those and they are certainly easier to use than the muffs but need to talk with my trap shooting buds before I do. So far I haven't done much research and haven't been inclined to spend the money for those so it's likely I'll stick with the muffs for another season.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Quack Addict

Congrats on retirement! This is a tough year but definitely look forward to many more unhurried scouting days and actual hunting days! Work is over-rated! Love tinkering with my duck boat and hunting stuff. On those few cold days in the blind the muffs will help a bit!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:59 PM
Quack Addict

Cheap foam plugs for me and try not to use any with color.

I did pick up an amplified ear muff set for turkey hunting for the morning sit, but have yet to hear a gobble through them - just a lot of Whippoorwill and air planes.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:04 AM
Quack Addict

Whippoorwills are certainly worth listening to. Quite a symphony on a spring turkey morning!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:15 AM
Sponsor Member

I have to say I like the fact that I can still hear all the morning sounds with my amplified ear muffs. Nothing better than to sit and listen to the sounds of the marsh waking up. The bonus is that I can hear the low quacks of the occasional Gadwall I encounter alerting me to his presence in the area. And the always hair-raising sound of the Ringnecks dive-bombing my decoys, especially when they come from behind me, is something you can never tire of hearing.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:25 PM
Quack Addict

Received the Walkers razor muffs this week and thus far impressed. No shooting yet but they fit well over hat/mask, and are camo. Has not been much wind lately, wonder how they will fare in windy conditions. Praying we'll be better in November!
Old 07-07-2020, 07:54 AM
Sponsor Member

I seldom notice the wind when wearing my muffs. The exception to that is when it's really howling or very gusty and then there's some noise similar to what you occasionally hear with some outside sportscasters using handheld microphones. However, that's not all that common and not an issue for the most part.

I think regardless of where we are this November with respect to the virus, I'll still be out there setting decoys and looking up to the skies in anticipation. Given that I hunt solo 98% of the time anymore I'd have to say I'll certainly be practicing social distancing.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Quack Addict

Amen to that! Despite the heat and the present situation, I've managed to get my wife and daughter out walking, riding bike, eating right, getting proper rest... Hoping weather and water levels will allow me to hunt teal season! Have prepped some decoys, discarded several that were too far gone. The marsh beckons, i know it is only july, but i will make another run soon, still shallow but getting more rain this week, and need to cut the trail afresh. Be well!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: