United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > UW-F Public Forum

Old 07-22-2021, 12:31 PM
Sponsor Member

Orange Creek Restoration Project

I thought I'd post this for everyone that still visits the forum. I've gotten word from the SJRWMD that starting right away they will be doing some vegetation management on Orange Creek and the place will be closed for about 2 months. They are treating about 200 acres of Cuban bulrush and removing 30 acres of tussocks.

Additionally they will be repairing the boat ramp and doing some road improvements. They are scheduled to be finished well before early Teal season, but even if not they won't be doing any work on weekends so it won't affect hunting out there. These are projects that were delayed from last year due to covid restrictions but are finally in the works. Kudos to the district for making this happen out there.

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Sponsor Member

Re: Orange Creek Restoration Project

Here's an update on Orange Creek that I got yesterday from the land manager with the latest information about the projects they are currently working on out there. All the rain we've had in this area over the last 2 months has caused numerous construction delays out there with the result being that the contractor is a little behind schedule. Because of that the access road in and boat ramps will not be finished on time and they won't be available for the opening weekend of early Teal. They will try and finish everything and have the ramps open for the last weekend but as of now that's dependent on the weather and is still up in the air. I will get an update on the status regarding the last weekend of early Teal, probably not until after the first hunt weekend, and will post that on here as soon as I find out.

He apologized about the delay, but you can't control Mother Nature. He did say that there could be some opportunities for enterprising hunters to wade in along the north side, but in my experience that might prove to be a rather difficult endeavor, especially in the heat and humidity of early Teal season. But that would be available for those so inclined.

The upside is that everything will be finished and we'll have an improved access road and restored boat ramp for the regular season, and the tussock removal and Cuban bulrush treatments will result in more open habitat which will be a definite improvement over last season.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Sponsor Member

Here's the latest word on the Orange Creek Restoration Project. As I feared, the rains we've had over the last 10 days have kept the contractor from finishing the work out there so the area will remain closed to vehicular traffic through the final weekend of the early Teal season. The good news is that everything will be done and ready for the start of the regular season in November including an upgraded access road and boat ramp. Sometimes Mother Nature has her own ideas on how things work and we are at her mercy.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:11 AM
Sponsor Member

I thought I'd bump this back up to let folks know that the SJRWMD has finished it's work on the Orange Creek WMA and it will be open for the regular hunting season. I visited the area earlier this week and can report that some of the holes and deep ruts in the access road have been fixed as well as the issues at the ramp that interfered with launching a boat. The removal of vegetation as well as the herbicide treatments on the Cuban bulrush should result in better habitat conditions this fall. Let's hope the ducks agree. Kudos to the district for making these improvements out there.