United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 AM
Quack Addict

Talking turkey

I realize I am somewhat early in my other obsession- spring turkey- but I need some input. I have aluminum, slate, glass, acrylic pot calls. Each has their voice but recently I have come across some sound videos of both copper and brass pot calls. They sound great! I see some are using titanium as well! The brass ones are making good sounds even when wet! I need to add either a copper or brass call (if I can get away with it one of each). Anybody have experience with either? Scotch brite or sandpaper? Yelp yelp!!
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM
South Regional Director

Re: Talking turkey

Never too early to talk turkey! I have both Brass and Copper calls. They're very good for down here as the humidity doesn't affect them like it does slate. I had a Titanium call but sent it back to the maker, I just couldn't get a decent sound out of it. I've all but abandon the pot calls in the last year or two. I'm thinking my hands and fingers just can't hold them anymore. I do like using them for purrs and and clucking. Last year I used a Fiddle box from Marlon Watkins that the turkeys just loved. I have a couple Billy Buice Trumpets I'm trying to learn.
Bubba

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:20 AM
Quack Addict

Thanks, Chief! I am planning to attend the Florida wild turkey extravaganza in Webster, Saturday Feb 1. A bunch of call makers will be there. Rather have a custom call that the factory type though those will work just fine. What do you condition the copper/brass with?
Old 01-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Quack Addict

Small pieces of green scotchbrite- notice pieces as I always lose them - use it on copper pot and slate pot
Old 01-11-2020, 03:15 PM
South Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Small pieces of green scotchbrite- notice pieces as I always lose them - use it on copper pot and slate pot
Yes on the green Scotch Brite and have even been told fine sand paper too. But I always have the scotch brite so I use that. Bubba

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Quack Addict

Good, will get some. I know there are many options for the type of wood for the pot, as well as the striker. Hope to get some insights from the makers.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:09 AM
Pintail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul G View Post
Thanks, Chief! I am planning to attend the Florida wild turkey extravaganza in Webster, Saturday Feb 1. A bunch of call makers will be there. Rather have a custom call that the factory type though those will work just fine. What do you condition the copper/brass with?
I went to this last year. Go early if you can.

Make sure you visit Scott Fletcher. Melbourne call maker and a great guy. Scott Ellis too. One of the best competition turkey callers around.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:49 PM
Quack Addict

Good advice! I plan to be there early. Birthday's coming up, so with ducking winding down, a new call for my arsenal and serious practice is in order!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Talking turkey/ all day hunting??

Should be interesting, the fact that many WMA's have gone to all day hunting this spring! I have been perfectly happy with the previous format of hunting till 1 pm. I would take a break, have lunch, maybe a nap, scout in the afternoon, and begin the process again the next day. Scouting in the afternoon seems to be at odds with those hunting then. I certainly don't want to mess up anybody's setup. I guess when I was younger I might stay the course much longer but by 1 pm, after having walked 4-5 miles, maybe more, with gear, I am very much spent. You know the afternoons can be quite hot and stifling- it would be tempting on those few cool days when it is mild for most of the day to stay then. I know some other southeastern states have experienced a decline in turkey numbers, apparently not here given the go-ahead with all day hunting. I just hope this does not contribute to any significant decrease. Wonder what are your thoughts on this??
Old 02-02-2020, 03:40 PM
Quack Addict

Well, daughter got real sick so i stayed home to help. Anybody make it to the extravaganza? Had my mind focused on the Red Hills brass w/walnut base pot call. Guess i'll have to order online.
Have to break in my new Irish setter boots. Put away all the duck hunting gear. Screwed in the XF chokes in the benelli and winchester pumps- hope to pattern those with some #5 loads.
Can't wait to walk in the turkey woods!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Quack Addict

Didnít make it but did the same by putting duck gear away. A few more items and then the long wait for early Teal.

Already looking forward to do some scouting before season!!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:31 AM
Quack Addict

Waiting on my brass pot call, ready to experiment with different strikers. My Irish Setter boots are incredibly light, feel more like sneakers. Yeah they have laces and it takes a few more seconds to put them on but so far i am impressed. The Lacrosse 4X boots in 13W i could not even get on- maybe my high arches are to blame, but these are better.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:36 PM
Quack Addict

Pretty sure Red Wing is parent to Irish Setter and same company.

Always felt Red Wings had better quality until my last pair fell apart just over a year.

Now I own Irish Setters and have been happy with their wear.

Time to get ready for the gobblers and season is getting here too quickly!

Last edited by Squid; 02-12-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 AM
Quack Addict

Got my 3" Sinclair brass pot call with a walnut base...he had some beautiful exotic woods but I am most happy with the build and the sound! He supplied a wooden striker (not sure of type) and a small square of red scotch brite. It definitely produces a softer tone than my aluminum pot, but has good rasp. I still carry the vintage MAD aluminator because I believe it reaches farther on those windier days. I tend to make softer, more muted calling, as this has led to more positive results than louder more aggressive calling. I also have a Lee Chadwick/Misfire calls, slate over glass pot call that I employ. On the drive to and from work, I am practicing with mouth calls, as they are also an essential part of my spring kit.
The turnaround was quick and the price most fair if you compare to more mass produced factory types that are marketed as "custom"- I definitely recommend Sinclair's calls, and I know there are many others, but glad to have several weeks to practice and experiment!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Quack Addict

Same for mouth calls here and have yet to find a brand I can stick with as they change tone too fast.

Best one to date was chewed up by the dog and didnít recall the name.

Only weeks away and still havenít patterned the gun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: