United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Wigeon

Is 6-7 months to old to start training a dog

She is a good dog and hyper as all get out. She loves to play fetch and she will dive off the dock to go get the ball. I'm going to get her some stuff at bass pro to start throwing the ducks out in the water to see if she'll go get it. Is there any good training video's out there to help get started. My girlfriend said that I could take her duck hunting with me. I think I'm just going to take her and see if she even likes the airboat and the whole hunting experience.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Regional Director

Re: Is 6-7 months to old to start training a dog

i dont believe it is to late just depends on the drive of the dog. get some duck wings get her interested in them hide them in the bushes and see if she will work with her nose. heck if she can do that the rest is easier she may never be a great long distance retirever but if you can mark the bird and she can hunt thats a start. good luck have fun

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Regional Director

as for videos they will say i am dated Jim Walters gun dog easy read easy methods worked for 3 of my dogs so far but there are far better and more experienced trainers on here than me thats for sure.

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 12-24-2012, 07:05 PM
NE Regional Director...post ho

Not late at all, From what I've read some say to not start the real training till then or later as before that they really don't have the mental development anyway and it's easy to make mistakes or train to hard and go backwards when they are young. You don't want to start forced fetch training till they have their adult teeth anyways.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Mottled

That is the perfect age and it sounds like she could use it LOL! It is never too late to train a dog. I have seen "miracles" worked on some old dogs that were out of control! The only thing you cannot train is drive and it sounds like she has the drive to retrieve. Invest in an e collar now and make it easier on you and the dog.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Wigeon

She is a black lab and a little bit of pit. She just has this drive to fetch the tennis ball. She fetched the ball in the lake all day. It didn't matter how far I threw it. I even started hitting it with a baseball bat to get it farther. We played for 5 hours and she wanted to keep going but she was getting tired. She is going to sleep good tonight. She needed it because she wants to play all night. She is to hyper for my girlfriend so I figured hunting will tire her out and she is a good loving dog. If you throw 3 balls she will try to bring all 3 back at once lol

Last edited by BigBlockFalcon; 12-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Bufflehead

Big block, As to a hunt trip, without any prior experience or training, you might do more damage than good. She might love the boat thing, but the guns might be a bit too much too soon! The guy who trained my dog started introducing him to guns from quite a distance and gradually got closer. One bad experience could ruin her for life. Rich
Old 12-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Chairman of the Board

Get a puppy book, I have a small library of them but the one that seems to get you started on the basics without a bunch of e-collar magic is ''Retriever Puppy Training, The Right Start For Hunting'' by Loveland and Rutherford. Sounds like your pup has plenty of drive, which is the one thing you can't train into your dog. Like the saying its easier to go slower than to go faster, a dog with drive is the way to go. Start your pup off a ways out maybe 40 yards with a cap gun then work in closer. If you can, have a helper work down range toss the bumper and shoot so the pup is looking down range for the bird, then you can concentrate on handling the pup. In a few weeks if this works out move to the 22 blank but stay out away from the pup and don't ever shoot one off right over its head. I use wings black taped on bumpers to keep them interested if they act bored. Always end on a positive with fun retrieves I use a tennis ball for fun retrieves, this relieves stress in the pup and helps to keep things positive. Good luck and have fun!

Dennis D. Dutcher
Chairman of the Board
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM

What I did was take her to the dove field and got a good distance away from everyone. As she was hearing the pops I would play with her retrieving she picked up the idea real fast and when I did shoot one she knew what to do.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Ringer

I started my pup at 3-4 months taking him on sporting clay shoots and the skeet range and at first he was a little nervous but he caught on super quick! And now he hears a gun and looks into the sky for a falling bird! And if I miss a bird and he sees it fly away he whines!! It's a common occurrence lol
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Wigeon

Well I don't think she would be good for hunting. New Years when all the fire works started she hid and was so scared and was shaking so bad. Well we went to sleep to wake up to crap everywhere. I guess she was so nervous it upset her stomach. But she acted like nothing happened and we played all day. She is a great swimmer though.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Doesn't mean anything, mine got a little nervous too and she loves gun fire. They are all nervous about it till you teach them otherwise. When mine was very small everytime there was a loud noise or thunder I would start playing with her so she would get excited when loud things happen and figure it's a fun thing.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Wigeon

I didn't think of it like that. I could of grabbed the tennis ball or her little fake duck and she would probably forget about the noise.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Sponsor Member

you can go to wal mart buy a cheap cap gun and shoot it randomly but you can also take the duck decoy and when you throw it shoot it off so she gets used to it. I would not recommend shooting a shot gun around her just yet.
Excel Boats
Prodigy Boats
Gheenoe
386-747-7652

sid@fastduckmotors.com
"Going places others can't"
Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Wigeon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: