United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
NE Regional Director...post ho

Dog food

It's been 15yrs since I had a lab and I'm sure things have changed. I'm picking up this new puppy in a few weeks. What food should I start her out on and or change to as she grows.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Sponsor Member

Re: Dog food

Wow, talk about opening a Pandora's box....

Here's my $0.02: Feed them the best food, with the best ingredients you can. I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Bristol is really lean and I need the most protein I can get to keep the weight on her). This is all natural and better that what most people feed their kids.

Fact of the matter is, you find a food that you are comfortable with (first ingredient should not be grain or animal byproduct) and that the dog does well on.

Now I leave it to the rest of the peanut gallery....
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Sponsor Member

Oh, and whatever the breeder is feeding, start with that and do a slow conversion - if you don't, she'll get the runs something terrible. Couple this with housetraining and you have a real mess.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Sponsor

Now I leave it to the rest of the peanut gallery....

Agreed with sticking with the same food the breeder had the puppy on. The switch to a "puppy chow". Our Black Lab Ruger went with the Purina Puppy Chow them as an adult he went with the Pro Plan.

He get a 400 IU Vitamin E and 1 1200 mg Fish Oil and 1 glucosaminate tablet everyday. Our vet gave us the thumbs up since the arthritis in his knee has gone away with the glucosaminate........my .04 cents worth.

After seeing Bristol in action.....that girl doesn't quit

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Quack Addict

My Lab's name should be ear infection. I didn't go through the elimination process but switched my Lab over to Taste of The Wild and she now stays ear infection free.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Bufflehead

The purina pro plan is a good food. Bil jac is also a very good food, Have fed both to my chessies for a long time. Be careful with the high protien puppy foods they sometimes cause some parts of the pup to grow at different rates, thus bone and muscle/ligament problems down the road. Rich.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Quack Addict

i have been around the dog food wagon about 3 times, ProPlan is ok if the dog is real active allot, if not she will gain weight quick. My oldest Lab Avery has a wheat allergy and gets bad ear infections so i have to stay away from any wheat in the food,and lamb because of doggie fart bombs. i have tried them all, Iams, Proplan, Euk, Natures Best and the one i like alot is the 4Health from Tractor Supply, i feed the adult blend most of the year and switch Scout because he is very active during hunting season so he need more cals, i change to 70% performace blend and 30% adult blend, if i dont he looses weight. 4Heath is made by the same maker that makes the Taste of the Wild and its cheaper and 29.00 for 40lbs and allot of the time on sale for 24.00 for 40

i switched 3 years ago and it has been the best food so far.

but feed what your dog likes and is good for her.

allot of guys on here have see my pup Scout he has a great coat and i add nothing to his diet. that 4Health does great.

Lenny

Member of the BIG LEAGUERS

Supporter/Member of the 24/7 Crew

Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
NE Regional Director...post ho

Ok well tractor supply is out I'm not driving all the way down there for dog food. I don't know who carries what in my area though I'll have to scout around to see whats available. The parent dogs are both about 70 to 80lbders tall and big not slight so I assume she could get big fast. Garetts dog (same parents) is now a year old and weighs almost 70. I don't know what he's feeding her though but she does have a gentile stomach and gets the squirts easy.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Bufflehead

Bil jac is the best for dogs with the squirts. My dogs that are on biljac make poops that bounce. My wife loves the easy cleanup! Rich
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydog View Post
Bil jac is the best for dogs with the squirts. My dogs that are on biljac make poops that bounce. My wife loves the easy cleanup! Rich
Bouncing poops.....Too funny.....Thought I had heard it all...LOL!!

If my dog had bouncing poops he would probably pick them up and "retrieve them"....Uckk

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Scaup

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ This website is an awesome non-biased place to start. You definitely want to go grain free. However, a lot of the grain free food does not seem to be the best tasting to dogs. Costco just started carrying a grain free I have been buying and my dog loves it. I believe it is "Kirkland". It is a Salmon and sweet potato blend. My dog loves it and it is great for her energy, coat and digestion.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Pintail

costco sells a great brand, Kirkland been feeding for years.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Scaup

Not only is it great it is reasonably priced. I was paying almost 50$ for a 25lb bag of a very good food now with the Kirkland I think it is less than 40$ for almost 40lbs and there is no difference in quality. Can't beat that.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Teal

Well the whole food game is tricky. You will have a ton of people tell you what they feed. Been training and breeding labs for over 10 years. Feed the pup on puppy food until they re 10 months to a year old. My advice to you is make a decision and stick with it. So in that matter I will tell you I feed Purina Pro Plan.

Feed whatever is available to you at any given moment.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Regional Director

dammm between scout my lab 85 lbs and griz my half lab half pit108 lbs and gracie 78 lbs of blue pit. i cant afford t pay for those feeds we have feed them purina large breed and gracie is on a wieght maintanence from kirkland. jim can attest to scouts and griz 's willingness to hunt and how long we go on snipe hunts ( all day adventures sometimes). but if i had just one dog i would feed it the best i could afford not saying that what im feeding now would change tried all the high price foods when it was just scout but he didnt really like eukanuba or scince diet or blue buffall. guess you just have to see what she likes and works for her pat.

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: