United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Recipe Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Bufflehead

Pulled pork....

Smoking a pork shoulder seems to be my biggest enemy.. every time I pull it off the smoker, it's cooked through but will never pull. I know this is a time related issue.

Tips, trips, or rub recipes from the pros?

I'm going to give it another shot on sundaY

Trey
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Quack Addict

Re: Pulled pork....

Sounds like you are not cooking it long enough. It's counter-intuitive. Usually meat is more tender when you cook it less. In this case you have to cook it past done to get the meat to break down and allow the meat to pull.

This guy has a great free "course" that consists of 5 e-mails on smoking. Takes you through each step and what to consider. I'd highly recommend it. I am a total newb, but have had great success following reading his info. http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

From his e-mails (last # is when to take it off):

Pork Butt (Sliced) 225F 1.5 hours/pound 175 degrees
Pork Butt (Pulled) 225F 1.5 hours/pound 195-205

You have this to look forward to!

CocoCoy ProStaff: Midwest division
Old 01-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Pintail

Temp seems right to me but the time seems to be a little longer than I run them. I usually go about an hour a pound maybe a little more. Smoke them unwrapped for about half the cook time and then wrap them in foil and run the remaining time.

I'm sure there is thousands of ways to do it "right"
Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Ringer

Try "Butt Rub" and finish it in the oven if not done when you take it off the smoker.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM
UW-F Executive Director

Do you have water in the smoker? A source of moisture will make for the tenderness needed to "pull" the meat. Too dry and it is hard to pull
Old 01-29-2015, 07:15 PM
NW Regional Director

You may need water, you may not. I run a side fire box and never use it. After 2 hours, no more smoke flavor is getting in to the meat. Then it is all about the bark. Foil, really good foil, is your friend. Don't go cheap, because it may let out the moisture with a tiny crack. A lot of folks actually use Saran wrap with foil outside that after the bark is right. Remember to let the foil or saran wrapped meat sit for a good while to cool down before you open it. This allows the moisture back in the meat after it cools down. Keep a close watch on your temps and experiment. You'll get it right. Then call us and we will judge it for you!

On my old computer I had some good sites bookmarked that give you a lot of tips. They gone. I do have a couple of books that I like for more tips.

Butt Rub is da bomb. Makes your baked beans taste better too. I finally got the perfect blend for my beans. I wrote it down and got my family and friends to grade each batch. I would change the recipe and note the differences. I think the real key is to have them under the ribs (or shoulder) as they cook, catching the juice. Dang, I may need to fire up the smoker now.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:17 PM
NW Regional Director

Perfect looking bark DeadR. Looks like it was pulled perfect. The fat looks just right.

I also like he recommends smoking at 225. Perfect temp for pork. Lots of folks get it too hot.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:52 PM
Quack Addict

Pulled pork....

Pulled pork is one of the only meats I cook to temp. If it's a bone in look for the bone to wiggle loose from the meat. I cook mine to 200 internal temp. After that I take it off the pit and wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler for at least an hour. I don't wrap during cooking or use water in my smoker. I keep the smoke on the whole time. Everyone does it a little different. I've cooked it at 215/225 to 275 and 325. I prefer cooking it hotter and faster around 275 so I don't have to wait as long. Make sure you post when you get it where you want it.

Last edited by Drake; 01-29-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rvet View Post
Perfect looking bark DeadR. Looks like it was pulled perfect. The fat looks just right.

I also like he recommends smoking at 225. Perfect temp for pork. Lots of folks get it too hot.
Thanks! I have to give credit to Laura though. I do the smoking, but she's in charge of pulling the pork. Problem is she can't stop from putting it in her mouth and I have pics to prove it

Here she is with a mouthful:

I agree about the water. I dry smoke and have never had an issue with the meat being dry/tough.

I take that back. There was that wild turkey leg I tried once

CocoCoy ProStaff: Midwest division

Last edited by Dead Ringer; 01-29-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 PM
Pintail

simple pork rub the night before, then let it come to room temp somewhat before tossing it in. smoke for 2-3 hours with a light wood, then continue to cook at 225 until internal temp is 195, simple as that.

hard to give times, I've had some stall for hours upon hours, other times maybe a short 1 hour stall.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 AM
Sponsor Member

Im done with smoker for pulled pork because it usually gets covered in BBQ sauce......My best shoulders / butts come out from the oven after slowly cooking for 12 hours at 210......Usually covered for first 4, uncovered for the next four, covered for the last 4.........dry rub taste in advance of placing in oven.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 AM
Scaup

low and slow in smoker at first. Then transfer to oven
Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 AM
Quack Addict

Dang! Here it is just past eight in the morning and you'all have to go and make me drool and crave a pulled pork sandwich with just the right amount of sauce and onions...%^$& the oatmeal for breakfast!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Quack Addict

Buy a meat probe, digital screen is best.

Smoke (your choice of wood) the pork butt till the meat hits 160 degrees no sooner. Once it hits 160 degrees, this is called the stall. It will take forever for the meat temperature to rise after 160 degrees. You want your meat to hit 180 degrees to break the collagen (meaning your meat will be tender after 180 degrees). To make the meat cook faster after hitting 160 degrees, wrap it in Tin foil, then stick the probe through the foil. Wait till 180 minimum but if you like your meat super tender, almost mushy, remove it at 190-195 degrees. Always add a pan of water to inside the smoker to keep the meat moist. Let the fat and juices drip into the water pan. Once you foil the pork, add a few spoons of the juice from the water Pan to the inside of the foiled pork before closing it.

I have an electric smoker so I set the temp at 225 and just watch the probe. Normally takes 6-8 hrs depending on the size of the butt.

Hope this helps,
AJ

Last edited by LockedWings87; 01-30-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Ringer

Lots of good info here....

If you are serious about trying to dial in the process, you need good thermometers. Not the ones that come on the smokers... they are usually very inaccurate and are usually measuring the temp too far from where you are cooking.

I use a wireless setup that has 2 probes, one for the smoker and one for the meat. I have been amazed at the discrepancy between the factory temp gauge on my smoker and a decent digital probe. I have seen it vary by 75 degrees...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: