Spoonies in Escabeche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoonies in Escabeche

Not to be confused with ceviche which gives me the idea for 'mottled duck carpaccio'. I'd appreciate if Seņor g8r would evaluate the pros and cons of consuming essentially raw organic duck flesh. Should I worry about bird flu or perhaps the dreaded avian smallcox? I've had reindeer carpaccio nurture by Lapp herders on lichen fertilized by the Chernobyl disater(dang nuclears!!) without any noticeable libido deficiencies. Anyways I digress....

This recipe was inspired by the legend of Seņor Backcast in his quest for the fabled shoveler smackdown and his harping on the culinary delights of this succulent fowl much maligned by ducksnobs.

You must marshal that mainstay of hunters; PAINTIENCE or it's corollary terminal LAZINESS, for this takes a long time.

PREPARATION;

Simply place a limit of Anas clypeata in the fridge for a week with feathers and guts in place. If you must, you may visit them once a day to make sure your significant other has not evicted the smiling fowl from the cooler. After this span of time, once our little helpers(microbes) have digested the muscle fibers, then breast them. DO NOT forget to feed the remnants(guts, neck, flat bones, legs and a few feathers) to your retrievers for he made this meal possible. Place the twelve half breast butterflyed into 24 pieces, plus the six fleshy tongues( these are a delicacy) in moo mammary secretions(bovine milk) overnight. Rinse off next day and place in a pot(I use earthenware hand turned to minimize the carbon footprint.

Then add cold the following;

one cup of vinegar
    one cup of essence of the gods(olive oil)
    3 bay leaves
    3 large onions cut in quarter inch strips
    a handful of whole black peppercorns
    salt
    Put over very low heat for 4 to 6 hours. Turn off the heat and cool down overnight. Believe me it's sterile after what you have done and it will keep for days.

On day nine you reheat and serve with wrinkled potatoes.

For those that have the misfortune of not having a Canary Island ancestor the taters are a quick way to pack the carbs in a tasty manner. Originally it was prepared with pure sea water lapping on the shores of this island off the African coast. Here we must forgo this step since our littoral is a repository of nasty things dumped there in a shortsighted profit making orgy.

Wrinkle Taters;

Place the whole tubers in a pot and cover with water, then add a handful of salt. Boil and simmer till the water is gone. The potatoes should have wrinkled skin and be dusted with crystallized sodium chloride.

Addendum:

Should you be afflicted with pita friends or family this can actually be fed to both omnivores and the pitiful vegetarians. Just add other veggies to the mixture in the pot and say the darker objects are chunks of tofu marinated in organic soy sauce. You may also say the firm white objects(tongues) are white asparagus tips.

Enjoy!
    A denizen of Notaland

Re: Spoonies in Escabeche

Ever do this with ringers?
    The road to the father is narrow and difficult to travel, but the road to damnation is wide and well paved.

Comment

Yes, It taste the same however the tongues are not near as succulent.
      Ringers done this way are excellent to spread on an Italian wheat cylinders slathered with the sauce to make a yummy moist blind refueling appetizer. Then again. if you have a surplus of jet-like fowl I would suggest Riettes du Canard. Simply fish out the chunks of ringers, place in a pot(preferably earthen), add a nice amount of lard, set on the stove top at not more than 150F for 6-8hr. Allow to cool and solidify into a spread which will keep for weeks(don't worry the microbes have all died from myocardial infarcts). This makes a great cold spread on toasts much appreciated while hunting harlequin ducks from an igloo in Alaska.
      WARNING; Don't stir the riettes with a metal soon. It's dismal juju.
      A denizen of Notaland

Comment

Spoonie recipe gets a double thumbs up! I was able to sample the dish while sitting and waiting to finish my bootlip six. (drakes of course)

Comment

Spoon City Saturday? We need to "erase the hate".

Comment

Originally posted by Earp407 View Post
            Spoon City Saturday? We need to "erase the hate".
            Bootlip Beatdown. I'm in. You can't wuss out this time.

Comment

Where we will be I won't have a choice.

Comment

Thanks for the idea Jimmy and pat ol Lucas on the head for me for a job well done. Gonna have to give this one a try.
                Member of the Bay Area Quack Ho's

The only time a real friend should bail on you is to help out when your boats taking on water

Comment

Tis cooking today.

How many Ringer breast and how much lard? It sounds wonderful. I prefer multigrain flat bread.
                  Last edited by David B; 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM.
                  Once upon a time in a marsh, not so far away..........

Comment

First you must do the escabeche part to give taste. the meat should be soft after 3-4 hours. You can eat it then with rice etc. For riettes wipe down the breasts and place with lard over very low heat uncovered for at least 2 hours.
                    Depending of the number of ringers you may add more oil and vinegar to cover the meat. For riettes break down the breasts and place in enough lard to cover the chunks, stir occasionally.
                    A denizen of Notaland

Comment

I'm still eating the riettes which have kept well in the refrigerator. I did bled in some butter to give it a bucolic taste. It's highly caloric so I only consume small portions on toast when is cool.
                      A denizen of Notaland

Comment

Originally posted by nosoypato View Post
                        Put over very low heat for 4 to 6 hours. Turn off the heat and cool down overnight. Believe me it's sterile after what you have done and it will keep for days.

On day nine you reheat and serve with wrinkled potatoes.
                        Jimmy - A question or two.

So you turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool down overnight on the stovetop?

Then you wrote "On day nine you reheat and serve...". Do you reheat them in the liquid or do you pull the morsels out and reheat them on their own?

Comment

Working...
                        X