United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Quack Addict

Shock Collers

I am looking for a cheap water proof shock coller.

My dog has not touched the cat's food in 5 years and just a few months ago he started eating it and we can't get him to stop. Punishments are not working, he gets scared Poopless but he will sneak back to the cat food.

Team Total ASalt. H3:18
Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Team Hevi-Metal - I didn't come this far to MISS.
Whether I am Chasing the Jets from the north (Blue Bills) or hunting a field for Mallards and Geese Hevi Shot is the brand I trust!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Sponsor

Re: Shock Collers

Tailfisher,

Kevinwwings2 found a good one cheap on E Bay. If you want new find one you like and I will see if our distributor has it. They have a bunch.

You should look back and see what has changed in the dogs routine recently that might have caused this switch; change of food for either the dog or the cat, change the amount of food that the dog gets, has the dogs health changed, does the dog get the same attention that he used to from you and your wife??...something that might lead to why after 5 years the dog decides to switch and eat the cats food....I am not an animal shrink so no charg there

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 02-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Bufflehead

Getting rid of the cat is the cheapest way to go...

Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect XX View Post
Getting rid of the cat is the cheapest way to go...
that was my thought to begin with.kill the cat, no problem any longer

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Sponsor

Wanna bet the cat is Mrs. Tailfisher's and came with the nupitals so then it is a sacred cat?????

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbilly View Post
Wanna bet the cat is Mrs. Tailfisher's and came with the nupitals so then it is a sacred cat?????

Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Quack Addict

I have a Cat but it eats dog food and have to put it outside for the bathroom so its a cat but basically a Dog. My wifes cat ......... We'll I am waiting that one out.

I would give her cat away but I keep hearing it only has a year or two left.....

I look back and cant think of any changes. No change in Foods for either just that I guess he is a slow learner. He's just a pound shy 100 pounds.

I am trying to talk the misses into a Black Lab so he will have a buddy. We nearly "borrowed" Newbie2ducks black lab forever a few weeks ago. His dog is shy but around my dog he is insanely full of energy!!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Whether I am Chasing the Jets from the north (Blue Bills) or hunting a field for Mallards and Geese Hevi Shot is the brand I trust!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Bufflehead

I got a sport dog 1825 on Ebay for like 249 shipped which is more than $100 off buying new from Sport Dog. It has the 1 mile range though which would be a total waste for in the house. HonestlY I have no need for that range either, I just figured the weeker models would have been measured in clear air and not when duck hunting and when the reciever is commonly under water. I have been very happy with the unit so far. If your near Port St Lucie and want to borrow it for a week or two let me know. I also bought the higher model cause it has vibrate, as she pays no attention to the tone, but with a little work I bet the vibrate will get her attention as much as a shock. She is my baby so I have a hard time hitting the shock button. It would have to be life and death before I would turn the shock up past about 4. My theory is why hit her with something I won't hit myself with, and 4 is where I said OK that is enough for me.

Oh and word for the wise.. I read an article in Readers Digest a few years ago, about the same problem dog eating the cat food. The owner went the shock collar method to stop it and from that point on the dog now attacks and kills the cat food before eating it. If I remember right it was a Bulldog and a thick headed one at that.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Quack Addict

I dont know if a collar is the right tool to get a dog to stop eating cat food. Maybe move the food to where only the cat can get to it? Crate the dog? Put the cat food down once a day?

On a side note: To anyone looking for a decent collar that wont let you down try a tritronics and you can get them from Collar Clinic. Sometimes they have refurbished ones for a lot cheaper and they look perform and last like new. I have owned a few kinds and can only recommend the tritronics or Dogtra.
http://www.collarclinic.com/

Sportdog has pretty good customer service but they had the collar more often than I did

Tony

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Bufflehead

I'd be willing to bet you could borrow a collar for a week or two and solve that issue. Or put the cat food someplace the dog can't get to it, like maybe in the bath tub..
Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Quack Addict

I used the E Caller and it worked pretty good but he now understand if we are home that he shouldn't eat cat food. But he did firgure out that if we are not home its fair game.

The E Caller worked great! Started at he would go over and get zapped, then he figured out that he could go after it we when fell asleep. The sound of the cat bowl going across the floor would wake us and he would get zapped. We did this for a month or so and now he doesn't go near it "while we are home". So now its kinda on us. when we leave we have to put the cat bowl high up and if we dont our dog picks it up and brings it into our bedroom.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
NE Regional Director...post ho

You could electrify the bowl or water in the bowl and teach him to stay away from that one. It would be fun to watch anyway.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Regional Director

why shock the dog just kill the cat jeeech

Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Bufflehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Clark View Post
why shock the dog just kill the cat jeeech

Because feeding the dog cat food is much cheeper than a divorce. Besides the dog needs something to chase in the off season.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwwings2 View Post
Because feeding the dog cat food is much cheeper than a divorce. Besides the dog needs something to chase in the off season.
Hit it right on the head with that one!!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: