United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 07-16-2018, 07:02 AM
Quack Addict

Federal shoks

I've been using the Federal blue box steel shot for the past few seasons. They are cheap, they kill, and usually get free shipping from Rogers, Macks, or Dunns. The common criticism was they were dirty- well, I did have to clean the pump guns a bit more- but this did not affect their effectiveness. Used the 3" 1 1/4 oz. #3 1400 fps shells with no hiccups. This year they are offering a new variety, just as cheap- well maybe 10$ more, inflation no doubt- which they claim is cleaner burning. Once again, some of the vendors are offering free shipping! I used to get the Win dryloks or pricier Kents but did not see an advantage and the difference, along with my "coffee can" savings, were used to get good cigars, libation, and a new duck call.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Quack Addict

Re: Federal shoks

Im not a fan of Federals.

For some reason my $1200 Benelli patterns cheap 2.5" Xperts the best. Go figure...
Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM
Sponsor Member

A bunch of years ago I settled on 3" Kent Fasteels in #4 shot size for my day to day shooting. For whatever reason they seem to be the best I've found that run through my 2001 Browning Gold Stalker. They flat out kill ducks, but I will qualify that by saying that 90% of my shots are probably within 30 yards.

The price has certainly gone up over the last couple of years, but I bought a couple of cases back when they were around $12-$13 a box and you could find deals after duck season with free shipping. I've still got more than a case left so I'm good for this season at least (maybe more if it's as poor as last year).

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:41 AM
Quack Addict

Rogers is currently selling a NEW Federal shok in the blue box- it is claimed they are cleaner burning than the older variety- 119$ for a case including shipping. The older variety is selling for 99$ a case including shipping. Esteban, I find the #3 shot a bit more effective on ringers (97% of my bag)than #4- I limit myself to over the decoys or within the last sentinel decoy at 35-40 yards, and very few cripples or follow-ups with the #3. I use both factory IC and a couple of aftermarket chokes also in IC. I did use some bismuth #4 in my SxS years ago which was very good but of course pricey. Now the vintage Winchester Supreme 3.5" #4 lead shell did wonders on last St. Patrick's day morning on an Osceola!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Sponsor Member

I can't argue with going to #3 shot, I have used those in the past and they certainly hit a bit harder than the #4's I use. But as I said, I shoot mostly within 30 yards so the #4's are plenty and I rarely have to take follow up shots.

Anything much further out and I tend to waffle on shooting as my percentages drop off. I keep telling myself to take the shot but think maybe they will circle around for another pass that's closer. Because of my hesitation I guess I let some fly off that I probably should shoot. Maybe there's just something about them coming into the blocks with their feet down that gets me revved up...

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Pintail

When they are in the decoys with their feet down and wings cupped they are yours! That's when you know you earned them. That's how we were taught to do it, and that's how I taught my children. It's a thing of beauty that only a waterfowler knows.

Leaky Waders Hunt Club
Old 08-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Quack Addict

Just received the Fall flyer from BPS. The sales begin August 10. They list the same Federal blue box 12 ga. shells for 99$ a case- and with the rebate 79$. Not bad at all...I normally don't buy from BPS, choosing Rogers, Dunns, or Macks, because they usually offer #3 shot.
As pinman indicated, what works best in your particular gun is key. I have noticed that the vast number of criticisms of the blue box shells are from owners of semi auto shotguns...my pumps handle them well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: