United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Photo Forum

Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Quack Addict

UW-F Second Annual Photo Contest Rules and Discussion Thread

How to enter

Review the official rules outlined in “UW-F Second Annual Photo Contest – Official Rules” below.

Create a single post in the UW-F forum’s Photo sub-forum under the sticky for the appropriate category you wish to enter. The post should contain:

__________________________________________________ ___________

"I (name of contestant) submit these photo(s) into the Contest under the category of (select one of: (1)wildlife and scenery, (2) hunting, (3) cell phone, (4) youth). I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the official rules.”

&

Up to 3 pictures
__________________________________________________ ___________

You may change the pictures that are posted throughout the contest, so long as only 3 pictures are up in each category at a time. The 3 that are up when the contest expires are the 3 that will be considered.

You may enter in all categories, for a total of 12 entries across 4 categories.

Do not post pictures as multiple posts in each thread.

Do not forget the disclaimer. If your entry does not have the disclaimer when the contest expires, it will be disqualified.

Do not post commentary in the entry threads. Titles are acceptable, but no stories or comments about photos. Please concentrate all commentary in the appropriately named "UW-F Second Annual Photo Contest Rules and Discussion Thread".

Contest ends March 1st, 2015. Photos must be from September 1, 2014 to March 1, 2015.

CocoCoy ProStaff: Midwest division

Last edited by backcast; 01-02-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Quack Addict

Re: UW-F Second Annual Photo Contest Rules and Discussion Thread

UW-F Second Annual Photo Contest – Official Rules

The following rules pertain to the 2014-2015 United Waterfowlers of Florida ("UW-F") Second Annual Photo Contest (hereafter, the "Contest").

1. The Contest shall be open to all persons, including both current UW-F members and non-members, with the exception that professional photographers and current UW-F Board of Director members are not eligible to compete in the Contest.

2. Entries should focus on representing Florida waterfowling. While photos from locations outside Florida may be entered, it should not be obvious from the entry that the photo is from out of state. For example, non-Florida landmarks or species in photos may negatively affect the judging of an entry.

3. The Contest shall run from January 1 2015 until March 1, 2015 (the "Contest Period"). Photos must have been taken between September 1, 2014 and March 1, 2015.

4. Prizes shall be awarded for the top photo, as voted on by UW-F members, in each specified Contest division and to the "Best of Show" for a total of 4 prize packages. The "best of show" photo shall be awarded to the top overall photo. The "best of show" photo shall only be eligible for the "best of show" prize and the runner up in the specified Contest division will win the divisional prize. No one contestant shall be eligible to win twice in a given year.

5. The Contest prize structure shall be as follows:

a. The Grand Prize "Best in Show" contestant shall receive a $50.00 Bass Pro gift card.

b. Each specified Contest division winner shall win a $25.00 Basspro giftcard.

c. All Contest prizes are subject to change based on participation and member donations.

6. The four (4) specified Contest divisions shall be:

a. Wildlife and Scenery Division - The wildlife division will be judged based on the overall artistic quality and technical aspects of the photo with a focus on flora, fauna or scenery encountered while hunting in Florida.

b. Hunting Division - The hunting division will be judged based on the overall artistic quality and technical aspects of the photo with a focus on capturing the essence, beauty, action, feelings, and themes related to hunting and harvesting game. Scenes without hunters, hunting equipment, retrievers, harvested game, or game being harvested should be entered in the wildlife and scenery division.

c. Cell Phone Division - The cell phone division will be based on the overall quality and technical aspects of the photo and shall consist of any hunting related photo that was taken with a cell phone and edited with only cell phone software.

d. Youth Division - The youth division will be judged based on the overall artistic quality and technical aspects of the photo but must feature a youth hunter in the photo.

7. All photos shall be entered on the "Photo Forum" of the UW-F public website and the contestant shall be required to adhere to the already predetermined forum rules and regulations that UW-F subscribes to.

8. Each specified Contest Division shall have a separate thread made into a 'sticky' at the top of the "photo forum" page.

9. The contestant shall be responsible for deciding the appropriate division to enter the photos. A contestant shall be permitted to submit three (3) photos per specified Contest Division for a possible total of twelve (12) total entries. All entries in a particular division by the same person should be organized as a single post with the disclaimer below. Contestants shall be permitted to change, delete or edit photos once submitted, so long as no more than three (3) photos per contestant are entered at any given time. The photos that remain posted at the close of the Contest Period will be the photos considered in the Contest.

10. To be eligible for entry into the Contest, each contestant shall be required to add a disclaimer to their post that reads as follows: "I (name of contestant) submit these photo(s) into the Contest under the category of (select one of: (1)wildlife and scenery, (2) hunting, (3) cell phone, (4) youth). I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the official rules”. Entries that do not include this disclaimer by the close of the contest period will be disqualified.

11. The committee may move a photo from one division to another if they deem that it would be better suited in another division.

12. Upon expiration of the Contest Period, the UW-F Board of Directors will select photos ("finalists") from each specified Contest division to be submitted to the general UW-F membership for voting. The general members of UW-F shall vote to select one finalist from each specified division to determine the winner. The finalist with the most votes from each specified division will be deemed the winner of that division.

13. The Contest winners will be announced two weeks after completion of membership voting.

14. Submitted Contest photos shall not contain any marketing, soliciting, and/or political commentary or endorsements (hereafter referred to as "Prohibited Content"). Any photos containing Prohibited Content shall not be eligible for Contest consideration and shall be subject to removal at the discretion of the UW-F Board of Directors and/or UW-F Forum moderators. You will not be omitted from participation if a photo of yours was purchased as clip art or purchased for multimedia use.

15. By submitting a Contest photo, you grant permission to UW-F to use the image or reproductions thereof for online and printed promotional materials.

Last edited by Dead Ringer; 01-02-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Regional Director

Thanks for posting. Hoping to get some good entries this year.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Shoveler

Can I get some clarification on this rule? Does this mean that UW-F has permission to sell the print of these pictures or does this mean that they just have permission to use the pictures on their website and fliers that you send out? What do you intend on using them for? I am just curious…

15. By submitting a Contest photo, you grant permission to UW-F to use the image or reproductions thereof online and in printed materials.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Quack Addict

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

That clause is there so that UW-F can use the pictures on the website and in flyers that we send out or posters at events. One motivation for the contest was a desire to have fresh, local images on the site and promotional materials. There is no intent to sell the pictures, unless you specifically donate prints for an event, which would always be welcomed.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Shoveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

That clause is there so that UW-F can use the pictures on the website and in flyers that we send out or posters at events. One motivation for the contest was a desire to have fresh, local images on the site and promotional materials. There is no intent to sell the pictures, unless you specifically donate prints for an event, which would always be welcomed.
Perfect! I was just checking. Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Quack Addict

I have taken the liberty of rewording it as such. Again, if my understanding is incorrect and anyone on the committee objects, let me know.

"15. By submitting a Contest photo, you grant permission to UW-F to use the image or reproductions thereof for online and printed promotional materials."

Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Regional Director

EOrlando,

John is correct.

All content that is posted on our forums becomes the property of the corporation. Yes we are a 501 C-4 as recognized by the IRS. It has always been that way.

We just felt it was responsible to let photo contestants know that their photos (posted quality and resolution) would not be exempt from that already existing fact.

A member would not be able to use, nor would we be able to profit from them, but lets say we (UW-F) did a youth hunting promotional calendar then yes they would be considered for use.

Hope that clarifies things.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Regional Director

Thanks Ron for getting on the board in the wildlife division. The first photo is the one I like best.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniels View Post
Thanks Ron for getting on the board in the wildlife division. The first photo is the one I like best.
Ron, please review the rules and make your entry official.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Quack Addict

Squid has some entries in one of the threads. Right now, there are duplicate threads going. Instead of stickying the existing threads, new ones were created. If someone who has the abilities could clean that up and migrate Squid's post to the appropriate thread, it would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Quack Addict

Really nice cell phone pic by duckflats. Great composition man!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Ringer

Thanks! I was pretty happy with how that turned out. It was right after I bagged my first wood duck too!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Quack Addict

Hey guys,just a tip from me that was beaten into my head at the photography website I hang out at,so take it for what it is worth cuz I am just as guilty as some of you.

Before you post your pix make sure the horizon is level.

Quite a few of you are leaning down hill left.
Just trying to help you learn from my mistakes,I tend to
lean down hill to the right.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Quack Addict

That's from all the whiskey and Dew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: