United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > UW-F Public Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Quack Addict

Congratulations to our 2018 UWF Graduate Research Scholarship recipient!!!

The 2018 UWF Graduate Research Scholarship has been awarded to Nicholas Masto from Clemson University. We are delighted to once again support waterfowl and wetlands research and thank those who contributed to the fund!

Here is a brief synopsis of Nicholas' project:

"Aerial surveys for waterfowl and other waterbirds are essential for estimating and monitoring population size and trends and determining avian-habitat relationships and distributions of these birds. In response to cessation of the Midwinter Waterfowl Survey by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 2016, Clemson University's James C. Kennedy Waterfowl and Wetlands Conservation Center M.S. candidate, Nick Masto, with guidance from his academic advisors and biologists of the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, have designed and are currently implementing an aerial survey encompassing approximately 5,700 km2 of waterbird habitat to estimate abundance of waterfowl and waterbird populations throughout coastal and selected inland regions of South Carolina.

To date, they have recorded 46 species of water- and other birds and have estimated abundance and spatial distributions of detectable species and groups including dabbling ducks (tribe Anatini), diving ducks (tribes Aythini, Mergini, and Oxyurini), total ducks, geese and swans (tribes Anserini and Cygnini), coots and gallinules (family Rallidae), pelagic and piscivorous waterbirds (genus Anhinga, Larus, Pelacanus, and Phalacrocorax species), raptors (subfamily Circinae,Haliaeetus leucocephalus, and Pandion haliaetus), and wading birds (families Ardeidae, Threskiornithidae, and Mycteria americana).

Aerial surveys of fall–winter waterbird abundance and distributions in South Carolina are the only statistically rigorous fixed-wing aerial surveys of these birds being conducted in the Atlantic Flyway, inland of the Atlantic Ocean. Nick and his team hope that enabling cost effective aerial surveys, and making surveys easy to implement and analyze will entice state and regional cooperation to replace the Midwinter Waterfowl Survey in South Carolina and in the Atlantic Flyway. Surveys will be conducted during fall–early spring 2019, with project completion scheduled for summer 2019."
Attached Images

CocoCoy ProStaff: Midwest division
Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Congratulations to our 2018 UWF Graduate Research Scholarship recipient!!!

Thanks to Dan Daniels, Newton Cook, and Bill Dalton for their generosity and to George Kriminger for helping with the accounting!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:44 PM
UW-F Executive Director

Congrats to the student.....and thanks to all the generous donors...
Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Sponsor

I would like to thank George for reaching out to me last night as I had completely forgotten about this GREAT event. Now if someone would set it up so that Pay Pal isn't the only way to contribute when you hit the "donate now" link.............

GREAT idea John aka "Dead Ringer" for setting this up. Hopefully we will get some Fla gradates...

Congrats on the winner also... a pilot to boot

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 12-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Quack Addict

We definitely see some room for improvement with the donations. As for applications from FL, we had one last year, but it was not selected as the best application. I have sent the scholarship announcements to the relevant academic departments of most universities in FL for distribution. Hopefully, word will get out and we will be able to grow this to attract more applicants in the future. We are looking into options to grow the value of the scholarship through a partnership with a 501c3 or creating a 501c3, which would allow donors to use their contributions as tax deductions. It's just something that isn't #1 on my list since, you know, I'd like to finish my own graduate degree one of these days

Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM
UW-F Executive Director

I was not aware about the Pay Pal situation until this issue came up...just one of those things on the Web Site that has never rattled the cage...but we will fix that as a lot of people do not like to mess with Pay Pal...and just use a credit card. We will add the Credit Card option......What did slow down the number of donations is we did not get a Constant Contact out on the Scholarship...that needs to be addressed next year....you do have to ask John to do one...he will help....The Web Site is set up in a good way to take donations and with a very good 'sell sheet"....I believe just fixing the Pay Pal situation will make it a success...along with a good Constant Contact hit in early October...Thanks again for those who are the "Champions" of this program....and to the donors.....The full scholarship was covered...and we should be able do a larger amount in the future...
Old 12-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer View Post
We definitely see some room for improvement with the donations. As for applications from FL, we had one last year, but it was not selected as the best application. I have sent the scholarship announcements to the relevant academic departments of most universities in FL for distribution. Hopefully, word will get out and we will be able to grow this to attract more applicants in the future. We are looking into options to grow the value of the scholarship through a partnership with a 501c3 or creating a 501c3, which would allow donors to use their contributions as tax deductions. It's just something that isn't #1 on my list since, you know, I'd like to finish my own graduate degree one of these days
Well John...... how many years are you going to take to get your doctorate in "Underwater Basket Weaving"???

501C3 will greatly help for sure!!..Thanks for your hard work and dedication!!!

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South