United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > UW-F Public Forum

Old 03-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Wigeon

2017-18 STA Harvest higher than Last years

Can't tell from these totals that the complete season was terrible in STA's as claimed early on while it was elsewhere.
Only STA's in total of 34,154 Ducks harvested.Areas like STA 5.3/4 and 2 had most Ring Necks over other species.Still shows where these Ducks are now wintering instead of Glades.Same with Mottled Duck numbers when we saw zero all season?
Another interesting statistic was the last hunts of the season the numbers where the highest or equally high numbers.
W080'07.593
Old 03-12-2018, 08:30 PM
Pintail

Re: 2017-18 STA Harvest higher than Last years

Had good/bad hunts at the STAs this past year and only hunted 1 & 5.

Do you support hunting at the STAs to include walk-ins?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:50 PM
UW-F Executive Director

Yes. And Wes Seitz, FWC Biologist, has announce the current WalkIn program will be canceled next year. Reducing the hunting pressure on the STAs by up to 9000 hunters. All because of a few complaints of crowding at the Check Stations by the Walk In hopefuls and “pressure and threats” on the operators. But, no record of a call to Law Enforcement or any arrests! The WRAC Recreation meeting tonight had over a dozen hunters opposing any change in the STA Walk In program.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpoler View Post
Can't tell from these totals that the complete season was terrible in STA's as claimed early on while it was elsewhere.
Only STA's in total of 34,154 Ducks harvested.Areas like STA 5.3/4 and 2 had most Ring Necks over other species.Still shows where these Ducks are now wintering instead of Glades.Same with Mottled Duck numbers when we saw zero all season?
Another interesting statistic was the last hunts of the season the numbers where the highest or equally high numbers.
Pushpoler,

Once again, your information is incorrect!!! You are comparing harvest numbers to the ducks "you saw"... Really?? How many ducks were harvested in the glades, Lake O during the season? You nor anyone else does not have these numbers.

Here are some true statistics that I received.. Comparing this year to last year...

2017-2018 Ducks harvested at the STA's = 35,501 Total hunters = 11,200

2016-2017 Ducks harvested at the STA's = 39,437 Total hunters = 11,892

So unless the 692 people that hunted in 2016/17 shot 5.3 ducks per person then the harvest numbers in 2017-18 have dropped as you think that ALL the ducks are sitting in them...

In relation to Florida's bread and butter duck, the ringneck...

In 2016/17 - 15,990 ringnecks were harvested in the STA's

In 2017/18 - 9,876 ringnecks were harvested in the STA's

So your theory about the STA's holding all the ringnecks preventing them from being in the glades can be disputed?? ... Where did the 6 thousand + ringnecks go? After all you are saying they are in the STA's??

My answer to the question would be start at HABITAT and then work your way down... I would again rethink your theories and definitely hire a guide next year to increase your statistics!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Wigeon

I have been unwilling to expect to get in as a walkin since last time when 150 sign up for 3 spots at 3/4 more than 6 years ago.Had suggested as with Daily Dove when awarded permits were posted you had a deadline to pay or the permit went back to hunters that wanted and willing to commit to showing up for the hunt date.

Godlvman:
As to my claims of where ducks are based on Harvest date as to what I see and what the results are certainly is more logical than your argument since your not hunting in the areas I do.Suppose your someone that has success hunting outside of the STA's?Bet you have no idea what to do if you had to.I have been in STA's more years than you have been hunting Ducks, and don't need to go far to see Ducks in numbers compared to scouting many miles and seeing nothing.If you just need a inner tube and your mother's car to go hunt an STA then good for you.One of the Skybusting crew.Hope they also make where like MIWLR that you can only have 1 box of shells per hunt.
So sorry you had a few off days not shooting limits. Boo Hoo!
W080'07.593

Last edited by pushpoler; 03-17-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 AM
South Regional Director

So what we're arguing over is known harvest numbers compared to the rest of the state? So Steve do you know how many ducks were killed in the Glades? Lake O? Last time I hunted Lake O there wasn't a check station at the ramp counting what we killed. Or for that matter any Lake in Florida? This could have been a banner year for ducks killed on private ranches. We have no idea what was killed in Florida except on the STA's. I already know you're going to say not many and that isn't an answer. Until you get solid harvest numbers and duck counts we'll have no idea. Bubba

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpoler View Post
I have been unwilling to expect to get in as a walkin since last time when 150 sign up for 3 spots at 3/4 more than 6 years ago.Had suggested as with Daily Dove when awarded permits were posted you had a deadline to pay or the permit went back to hunters that wanted and willing to commit to showing up for the hunt date.

Godlvman:
As to my claims of where ducks are based on Harvest date as to what I see and what the results are certainly is more logical than your argument since your not hunting in the areas I do.Suppose your someone that has success hunting outside of the STA's?Bet you have no idea what to do if you had to.I have been in STA's more years than you have been hunting Ducks, and don't need to go far to see Ducks in numbers compared to scouting many miles and seeing nothing.If you just need a inner tube and your mother's car to go hunt an STA then good for you.One of the Skybusting crew.Hope they also make where like MIWLR that you can only have 1 box of shells per hunt.
So sorry you had a few off days not shooting limits. Boo Hoo!
Pushpoler,

Your claims, are the furthest from the truth, and your observations do nothing to improve waterfowling. Many hunting outside of the STA's, myself included had great success last season. Those of us, who have been chasing ducks in South Florida for more than 40 years can read thru your propaganda and absolute BS!! It does nothing to progress improvements. Actually, what it comes down to is just you complaining as others have had success, be it inside the STA's or the Lake or maybe the WCA's in our own backyard. If MINWR is your thing then have at it, as success was also found there for those who did the homework.

If you choose not to hunt the STA's or the A1 FEB then so be it. If I remember you hunted an STA this year and were unsuccessful there as well!!! Yet you claim they are nothing more than "BAITED PONDS"? So, let me ask.... how do you go hunt a "baited pond" and not shoot anything? Let me guess... just another excuse added !!!

Your scouting of many of miles must just not be enough miles?? As others have done the same with success . But then again, you hunted the baited ponds and had no success ... I certainly see a pattern here and once again will recommend you hiring a guide for next year!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM
Wigeon

Chief: Time in the field and reports of friends and what we all experienced with many days,hours and miles hunting and scouting.Plus FWC biologist I spoke to at Holiday Park that are in the field as their job reports.
How can STA's harvest over 30.000 ducks out of how many that aren't dab in the middle of S. Fla and you just need to drive into them and see more ducks in 100 yds than 100 miles of running the other areas?
I can saw this since have done both as have others.If you only hunt the STA's then your reality is distorted and limited.
Yes no check stations elsewhere as a whole but you can talk to others and see for yourself if you get out of what are essentially Baited Ponds due to the habitats make up of nutrient loaded water.
W080'07.593