United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Teal

Need to pull flywheel on 2003 Merc 25 manual start

Any advice on pulling the flywheel on my 2003 Merc 25 manual start? Mainly how to hold the flywheel in one place while breaking the nut loose? Iíve think I can pull it once the nut s off.
Did the ohm test today, kill switch and switchbox are good. No resistance in the trigger, either stationary or when pulling the rope. So everything points to a bad trigger Gotta get online and order one ASAP
Old 11-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Sponsor

Re: Need to pull flywheel on 2003 Merc 25 manual start

They make a flywheel spanner tool that holds the flywheel by engaging into the teeth. I have seen a "shade tree mechanic use a 2" wide ratchet strap to hold the flywheel than use a 1/2 drive electric impact wrench to pop the nut. A cordless nut driver would also work as our guys use them for busting the nuts loose.

Too bad you are all the way in Tampa as I have the flywheel spanner tool and would let you borrow it. OTC sells them but maybe a near by marina will let you rent one for time period??

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Teal

Re: Need to pull flywheel on 2003 Merc 25 manual start

Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking I will get an air impact wrench to pop the nut loose. I believe I can use the three bolt holes in the top of the flywheel to rig up a brace to hold it in place while I break the nut loose.
I found a place here with the trigger, hopefully I will get it fixed this week so I can hunt this weekend.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: