United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 12-19-2018, 07:56 AM
Quack Addict

DSD hen versus Avian X hen turkey decoy

A little early I know, sorry if I offend any duck hunters. I bought a Dave Smith decoy "upright hen" three seasons ago and it finally paid off last year, and did entice several hens too. Great product! I perused an Avian X hen turkey decoy a few months ago. Pretty good detail, similar to DSD's. Noticed it was a collapsible/inflatable. Some reviews report leaking. I am torn between the two. Thinking to get the DSD "leading hen" to complement the upright one. The DSD is a bit more ($119 v c. 80$ for the Avian). Read reviews and videos and it is pretty even between the two mfg.'s
Any thoughts? Some have suggested the DSD jake teamed up with the upright instead of two hens. Anybody use the Avians? Pros/cons?
My vest can probably accommodate two DSD's; the Avian's collapsibility is a plus unless the leaking occurs I guess. Sometimes I use no decoys but have had better results with one or two.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:02 AM
South Regional Director

Re: DSD hen versus Avian X hen turkey decoy

I have all the Avian X decoys and yes some do leak but I don't really worry about it. They hold their shape pretty good. I don't ever hardly collapse them, I just throw them in a large decoy bag because mostly where I hunt I don't have long walks. If I have a long walk in I only carry one or one of the foam ones. I had the strutter blow out the plug in the bottom and they replaced no charge. I could easily fix it but haven't yet. I'm pretty happy with them and would buy again. Bubba

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Quack Addict

Thanks, maybe save some $ and get an Avian! I wrote to DSD and suggested they market an Osceola decoy, maybe a limited run, would want one with the local coloration. I know you can paint you own, just like our mottled ducks, but would be cool to see what DSD or Avian could come up with. I know there may not be a major difference between the Osceola and Eastern, but would be great to have one specifically like ours.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Quack Addict

Walking a brisk 3 miles every morning before school, I find this is a great way to deal with my Type 2 diabetes, and I get energized too. My usual turkey hunting distance is 1.5 miles, but many times 2-3 miles one way. I really look forward to it. Of course, a good chair has been a great investment. Been thinking about going 20 gauge among other things, to lighten my total tote.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Quack Addict

Received Avian lcd lookout hen decoy! Impressed with realism and more vivid paint scheme than the DSD. Chose this pose because it is more visible in wma usually high grass. Weak spot might be the valve- does inflate/deflate easily. Looking forward to spring turkey!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: