United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Turkey talk

Well, officially it is still winter, but this past weekend it was spring for me. Found more water in the slough this year and no doubt the birds will be promenading elsewhere and I found a couple of possibilities. Some big hens were about, did not hear any gobbling but like Tom Kelly once said, " we have to swing the bat and hope". Did some walking and caught up on some much-needed sleep. The coffee tastes better out there. If you can work it into your schedule, spring turkey is a good thing.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul G View Post
Good luck to all the lucky southern zone turkey hunters! I still have another two weeks, but get to scout this weekend- just looking forward to walking in the woods!
Found this gem from Tom Kelly- "All that we can do is swing the bat and hope".
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Turkey talk/ hunting boots

On that last scouting trip my Lacrosse Venom boots finally sprung a major leak and feet were real wet. This was after applying a good amount of shoe goop. Shame- these have been the most comfortable ones to date, but when I think of it, all will leak after a while. The exception are the Lacrosse Grange rubber boots- on a short hike they are all right but not good for long ones.
Any recommendations on preferably snakeproof/waterproof turkey hunting boots?
Old 03-12-2019, 04:43 AM
Quack Addict

Well, i put new insoles in the rubber Grange boots- much better- these will be backups to the aforementioned leaky Venoms- weather forecast looks like rain, will stay out of deep water as best i can! Good luck to all on the spring quest!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Quack Addict

BOL to you!!

Had a few gobbling but as usual Corbett has been slammed full of hunters.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Quack Addict

Last year I managed a couple of yelps from the aluminum pot and that was all I needed. On four occasions, had not called for a long time, and the tom showed up silently- man that is a rush! Four were shot down after some wood box calling, the rest and those being the majority, were lured in by mouth calls- these sure are "handy" when the wet weather appears or high humidity persists, and can still reach a good ways. As you all know, each one taken is in a unique context. One thing I have learned is when you get the itch to move, you rethink that and wait, and wait again, and then get up ever so slowly or you will get burned.
Hope I get to hear a whippoorwill or two, and see at least one bald eagle- but I am sure there will be surprises! St. Patrick's day approaches...Slainte!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Quack Addict

In advance, Happy Saint Patrick's Day! I know some of you will be wearing green (MO Bottomland?) this weekend, so happy hunting and a big Slainte!!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:37 AM
South Regional Director

Yesterday my buddy and I took a first time turkey hunter out and they doubled up on a couple of birds. Hopefully this weekend will be my turn. Bubba

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Quack Addict

Well itís not only duck season that gets jacked up by spraying - I believe they killed all the SAV the turkeys were eating or maybe it was just the noise that pushed them somewhere else.

Of course I sat all morning thinking what the heck, I usually see or hear something. Got in quiet, didnít call too much even packed the blind in and had it set in under tree limbs so it didnít stick out.

Then once I was leaving, I took the long way back to look around, only to see this spray buggy 150-yds away from where I was sitting. Then I found another one😂.

Of course I had to chuckle since Iím in a no vehicle area and someone had to plan the perfect timing to run amuck through the swamp during season.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2019, 05:15 AM
Quack Addict

Good opening weekend- despite not getting a bird. Weather cooperated until yesterday- I went home to work and will go again this coming weekend. Hens kept it lively, had one young one come within six feet of me and look me over. Nothing wrong with the setup. Fresh tom tracks, all the indications are there so I go with confidence. Shared some time with my turkey hunting mentor- 37 years of spring turkey seasons with lots of stories. The woods were quiet, did not see any deer, which is strange. The Florida kites were ever present patrolling the skies and my decoys. The coffee never tasted better out there.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Quack Addict

Last week heard a couple of gobbles at daybreak, accompanied by the staccato of hens, followed by silence. Try again next weekend, hoping the hens will disappear a good while, maybe the toms will be more adventurous.
My daughter loved the catfish- her first, as well as peach cobbler!
Old 04-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Quack Addict

11 hunts thus far, will finish up this week with another 3 attempts. Wish I could stay longer- just when you have the bird "sized" up, you have to go back to work...I have had the distinct pleasure of observing a number of woodduck rocketing in and out of the cypress slough- incredible how they can twist around those tight strands and find their water hole and nests! The hens and drakes took turns- probably both gathering food...in between a number of florida kites whirling above the slough. All in all, a real treat to see some beautiful birds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: