United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > UW-F Public Forum

Old 02-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Bufflehead

STA Totals for 2018-19 Season

2018-19 STA Harvest Check Station Totals. 27,434 of all ducks for Early and Regular seasons.
Need to get one more day each week to existing Public taxpayer funded property for hunting access!

Once again the primary ducks found during past decades in the Everglades,Ring Necks and Mottled Ducks were slim to none but STA's is where they were.
W080'07.593
Old 02-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Quack Addict

Re: STA Totals for 2018-19 Season

Lake O had way more Whistlers than the STAs and I was skunked a few times at STA1 this year.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 PM
UW-F Executive Director

If I remember correctly a few years ago 43,000 ducks were shot on the STAs....The habitat continues to decline.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpoler View Post
2018-19 STA Harvest Check Station Totals. 27,434 of all ducks for Early and Regular seasons.
Need to get one more day each week to existing Public taxpayer funded property for hunting access!

Once again the primary ducks found during past decades in the Everglades,Ring Necks and Mottled Ducks were slim to none but STA's is where they were.
Are you kidding me? What a joke... never mind!!!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Quack Addict

Euphemism to say it was slow down south...I would still go out and scratch out two to three birds, the silence ok. From the negative reports on the big lake I chose to stay home and wear my prop here- going to need a new one for next season. Hoping they can burn some areas of the lake. Glad to see UWF and others at meeting concerning spraying and hoping there will be a more "holistic" approach. I am hoping, like Newton stated, we get at least 30% of marsh untouched by herbicides.
Now the reports and pics from both north and central florida via FB showed generous limits and bounty of ducks: whistlers, wigeon, pinners, redheads and everything I consider "exotic"- along with a bevy of ringers. I know some lakes were hit hard by spraying; the evidence I saw/read sure meant pretty good times north of the big O.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Bufflehead

I remember when 1 Mottled Duck was your limit since it was 100 points.Or there was a 3 duck limit. Fewer hunters find worth effort if not able to get an STA permit and don't want to spend what it takes to have an Airboat or Duck Boat w/ mud motor costing 10's of thousands to get skunked or at best 1 duck in the Glades or Everglades.

Look at the Check Station data on FWC and see the most species shot from each STA. STA 1 is predominately Black Bellies.Then it is BWT and Ringers tied at the other's. If you also followed the DU Migratory Map reports then the STA's had to be a top producer!
W080'07.593
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Quack Addict

Mr Coleman, Scott I think it is.

I believe we met up Merritt Island way a few years back.

Im trying to figure out what the point of your post is.

Yes, Lake O, which I have hunted since 1978 has declined, and the last 2 years were the worst ever in my, and anyone I have hunted with opinion.

The STAs have declined in the 17 or so years I have hunted those, to the point that if you don't have really good intel (which is hard to come by due to lack of scouting opportunities), you may very well sit looking at decoys floating all morning.

Merritt Island is a shell of what is used to be. The Pintails and Widgeon of 10-20 years ago were replaced by a wad of Bluebills and Redheads but now even they are dwindling.

Im trying to understand the rants you post here (FWIW I havnt been a UWF member for at least 5 years and am by no means a UWF fan or apologist)

The last 2 years were the worst in my 40 years of duck hunting South and Central Florida. The choir don't need any preaching. If you want to do something about it, DO something about it!

Last edited by Pinman; 03-10-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Quack Addict

Quote:

The STA's are stealing the ringnecks out of the Everglades?? The last weekend of the season in the STA's it looks like 641 hunters harvested 400 Ringneck ducks?? If that is stealing ALL the Ringneck ducks then I don't want to hunt the Everglades!!! Not if your going to add 400 Ring necks in 700 thousand acres of habitat.

Sounds to me that you need to get ALL your facts straight, as you keep up with your lack of facts when it comes to waterfowl hunting in South Florida...

As I said before .. hire a guide it will take less stress off your life and will show you how incorrect you are on your so called "facts" ...

Please make no mistake, something is stealing ALL of our ducks Statewide but it is not the STA's as you continue to preach.

Last edited by godvlman; 03-11-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Bufflehead

Mr. Godlman: If you add up all the Ring Necks harvested in the STA's then your position would be even more Fake.
If your correct then the maybe 40,000 acres in the STA's with the duck numbers harvested then the 1 million acres of the Glades would have 30 more times of ducks to hunt?
How many Ring Necks did you harvest in the Glades each of the past 5 seasons?
Do you even hunt the Glades.
How long have you been a duck hunter?
Maybe you can guide me since you seem to know it all.
What are your rates?
W080'07.593
Old 03-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Bufflehead

Pinman: You have a good idea of what you have seen and experienced and pretty much that is exactly what is the case.
I am only stating the numbers from the STA Harvest reports and that as most I have known or have hunted the areas you referenced and their conclusions what has developed due to STA's pulling what ducks still migrate this far down the flyway's are to be found.

I recall running across our paths.Name is Steve.

Have hunted Merritt since 1959 at age 8 when there was no I-95 to get there and they had a hunt day drawing for assigned blinds.Don't get picked then a long ride sleeping in the back seat but longer for my father.
W080'07.593
Old 03-16-2019, 01:27 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Mr. Godlman: If you add up all the Ring Necks harvested in the STA's then your position would be even more Fake.
If your correct then the maybe 40,000 acres in the STA's with the duck numbers harvested then the 1 million acres of the Glades would have 30 more times of ducks to hunt?
How many Ring Necks did you harvest in the Glades each of the past 5 seasons?
Do you even hunt the Glades.
How long have you been a duck hunter?
Maybe you can guide me since you seem to know it all.
What are your rates?
I can tell you that I saw more Ringnecks in the glades a week after the season than were harvested in the STA's the last three weekends combined.

Lets hear your explanation for that... Since the STA's are stealing all the ducks.

Doesn't seem the STA's have stole the ducks from the indicator ponds here around me either, although some of the numbers and species may have changed from day to day or week to week most still showed with great numbers really showing towards the end of the season and up to a few weeks after.

Doesn't seem like you have learned much over your many of years of duck hunting, yet are the first to accuse others for stuffing birds in the mud to just harvest a limit of drakes. You should be careful who you accuse since it may continually come back to haunt you. I am not a guide so I recommend looking elsewhere...
Old 03-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Pinman: You have a good idea of what you have seen and experienced and pretty much that is exactly what is the case.
I am only stating the numbers from the STA Harvest reports and that as most I have known or have hunted the areas you referenced and their conclusions what has developed due to STA's pulling what ducks still migrate this far down the flyway's are to be found.

I recall running across our paths.Name is Steve.

Have hunted Merritt since 1959 at age 8 when there was no I-95 to get there and they had a hunt day drawing for assigned blinds.Don't get picked then a long ride sleeping in the back seat but longer for my father.
The causes are way more complex and no one can even point a finger at one thing (its not the STAs because the STA would still be, or be even better, than the STAs I have hunted for 15+ years).

I asked Godvlmn this year when we ran into each other; "Were we spoiled?"