United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM
NE Regional Director...post ho

Re: Is 6-7 months to old to start training a dog

Great pics she will do just fine, your halfway there already. Start shooting a cap gun or something when you throw the dummy. Have someone else do it from a distance and gradually move closer.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyM View Post
I started my pup at 3-4 months taking him on sporting clay shoots and the skeet range and at first he was a little nervous but he caught on super quick! And now he hears a gun and looks into the sky for a falling bird! And if I miss a bird and he sees it fly away he whines!! It's a common occurrence lol
you got lucky.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Bufflehead

My lab was ok with fireworks, but got nervous around guns. I bought one of the dummy launchers that uses a .22 blank to throw the dummy. Started with her at a distance, and slowly worked her closer. Now she associates the bang with getting to retrieve something. Shotgun over her head is a treat for her, but she does jump the gun. Wish she would figure out that we do miss as quick as she got used to the sound. She was 5.5 yrs old when I first started working with her and she is great now. Just hope to find a puppy before too long with half her instinct.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Quack Addict

My dog trigger had some gun shy problems at first but I was able to slowly work them out of him , now he loves to hunt and retrieve , working from a distance with the cap pistol or blank gun worked very good for trigger I started at a 100 yards away or better and as I through the dummy my wife shot the gun till we were standing right next to him , and it was all over after that. It took about two or three weeks every day till he got comfortable with the shots , watch your dog action he will let you know when he's ready.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Wigeon

She has been getting better but she is noise shy. She does not like loud noises. Cap gun, racecars, airboat, thunder, fireworks or any noise that comes out a garage/shop. She is scared of a lot of things. She has no interest in anything but fetching any type of ball and swimming. She thinks she is a lap dog. I am going to buy an E collar and look into those invisible fences. Any suggestion on a good E collar? She is just being a puppy and digs whole and just really hyper.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Wigeon

The dog doesn't live with me so I don't get to see her all tbe time and when I do anything with her she probably forgets about it. No one else works with her so its hard to make any progress.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: