United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Teal

Take the dog or don't?

Will taking a dog on hunts just to ride along kill their drive? For example an area with deep water and gators- so not safe to send the dog out, but you just want the company. I have heard its good to still take em and I've heard it will kill drive.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Sponsor

Re: Take the dog or don't?

My guy goes with me everywhere...hunting or not hunting and he seems to like it all the more. He will be at the garage door with his lead hanging from his mouth if he sees me in the back yard moving the boat or going into one of the safes.............tail is wagging away and he is bending back and forth and prancing around waiting to get the word that he can go........

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 11-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Regional Director

I won't take my dog where there are gators to worry about. Shallow water only. Dog is worth to much to me to risk. Love hunting with him but not in some spots . Our can happen quicker than you can react

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Quack Addict

Take em! I would.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Sponsor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Clark View Post
I won't take my dog where there are gators to worry about. Shallow water only. Dog is worth to much to me to risk. Love hunting with him but not in some spots . Our can happen quicker than you can react
Agreed. Why take them along for a ride when they are used to retreiving. You shoot a duck and the dog is going to go nuts wanting to go do what he/she was bred and trained for. Too much risk - I leave mine at home when hunting deep water.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Regional Director

they arent a kid..... i know griz and scout want to get everything that drops and some that dont one mistake might be the last....

Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Scaup

Take'm!
Another solid opportunity to train and teach the basics of obedience/steadiness. Great opportunity to teach a dog that not every bird is theirs.

some may not agree, but my dog enjoys the ride and the companionship just as much as the retrieve. might not be the case for a younger dog that is easily "over-excited", but again, a great opportunity for training and reinforcing it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Mottled

Take him with you. Mine goes with me every time. I left him home Saturday, for the first time in 3 years, and only because it was going to be a crowded hunt. I agree, a good way to teach the dog to only go when sent.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Quack Addict

All the heel and whoa training, all the force fetching don't mean shizz if the dog dies.
They're just dogs, sometimes they're gonna blow you off and be dogs.

I do everything I can to minimize that risk, it don't always work.

your dog, your choice.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Teal

Smile Re: Take the dog or don't?

That Dog LIVES to Hunt. Mine goes with me no matter what. Deep water does not stop me from taking him. I check out the area before I put out the decoys, if its clear, he hunts. If a gator comes into my decoys, he is looking for one thing, and thats the Dog. I had one come up 4 feet from the boat after my German Wirehair, That dog had never seen a gator in its life, but went BALLISTIC when she saw it. The gator trapper for Citrus and Levy county told me if that Gator really wanted that dog, it would come in the boat after her. Thats why I have very little tolerance for them, and will not, that is NOT, be cordial to them in any way. Good luck with your dog. I have been hunting in Fl since 1955 and always hunted ducks with dogs. Love em, and have never had one taken by a gator
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Bufflehead

From the posts above, it sounds like it depends on the dog. My boy is content to sit patiently even if I do not send him on a bird. One day last year I was hunting deep water near the entrance to the cut at Tin House cove. In came a diver, I shot it and it landed about 30 feet from my boat. My Diesel dog was looking at me and looking at the duck, as much to say Oh dad please! Fortunately he never broke out. Just then a monster head surfaced about halfway between my boat and the duck. Could have been tragic. Rich
Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Regional Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydog View Post
From the posts above, it sounds like it depends on the dog. My boy is content to sit patiently even if I do not send him on a bird. One day last year I was hunting deep water near the entrance to the cut at Tin House cove. In came a diver, I shot it and it landed about 30 feet from my boat. My Diesel dog was looking at me and looking at the duck, as much to say Oh dad please! Fortunately he never broke out. Just then a monster head surfaced about halfway between my boat and the duck. Could have been tragic. Rich
and therein lies the problem how long can the Gator hold its breath, underwater and I just never see it thinking all is good until I get your dog I agree deep water is not the place for my Dawgs

Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Teal

Just asking if anyone has had any luck lately, and if so where. I live in Hernando, near Crystal River and have not had a good shoot since Dec. at the Big O. Anyone hunted there lately, out of Lakeport. If not how about Newmans or Orange, Callousa, or the Gulf. I have a duck boat with a surface drive and hunt mostly just the dog and me. I would welcome some company once and a while. Has to be a non user of any kind of tobacco, and bathe occasionally. Also safe with the firearms. Don't have to be a good shot, I can handle that alright, just a good sense of humor. Lemmeno!!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Mottled

It all depends on the dog. I can't break the spirit or drive of my Chessie even if I wanted to. However, when it comes to dogs, gators, and hunting I believe it depends on the circumstances. The places that I hunt ducks have a ton of gators in them. I will NOT take my dog there during early teal season or when the temperature is hot enough for the gators to be moving. I will take them though after December when the weather starts getting cold. Gators are interesting creatures and adult gators can hold their breath for hours. However, you talk to any gator hunter.... and he will tell you the same thing. Hunting gators in cold weather is hard because they aren't moving. They shut down everything to slow their metabolism and conserve energy. I don't fear the gators when its cold. Gators can also easily go a couple months without eating during the winter. What ive noticed is that right up before you have your first cold snap you will see gators a lot more active. They know what's going on, and most are trying to put some food down before winter. Again, this is a judgment call on you...

But if your dog doesn't have drive that could be something completely different than taking him with you or not. At the end of every hunt whether I get a few or not (which I always do ) I will through out a floating bumper or something and let him get it before we put the boat in. Every opportunity you have your dog around you, or in your boat is a training opportunity. And you want him to think its fun. So let him have some fun and praise him for it. The dog I have now is my first CBR. And the trick I learned with CBRs is that unlike a lab, or a golden retriever, that retrieve because they want to make you happy. That CBR retrieves because it makes HIM happy. So keeping it fun from the get go was always important. Now I can't stop him. If I don't hide a duck outside for him to find every time we go outside he goes ballistic. He wont come in until he finds it (not willingly at least). That aside. Dog training is tough. All dogs are different. Find out what motivates your dog and don't let gators stop yall from having fun.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 02-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Bufflehead

I read once that Labs and Goldens think you are God, because you feed and take care of them. Chessies think they are God because you feed and take care of them! Rich

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: