United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Pintail

Dogs and Gators

What rules do you follow for using your dog and dealing with gators.

What's the deepest water you let your dog retrieve in?

Do you put limits on how far you let the dog retrieve?

Are there other considerations?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Sponsor Member

Re: Dogs and Gators

I only let mine work in water she can stand in - and if a retreive is that far, through water deep enough she has to swim, I go with her.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Pintail

I just keep my eyes open and my dog under control. I don't have a limit. During teal i may not let him do as much but during regular season i pretty much let him go. But i have the ability to call him off if i see something i dont like and change his direction. I worry more about the rim canals than i do any place else

****Hunting is a form of dog training but not the first wave of it. *****
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Quack Addict

I know of a couple of Dogs lost to gators...
Tank is a tall dog . I'm not crazy about him swiming alone. I go along and ride shot gun. In shallow water I'm more relaxed , But like Hunt Chesies said control is very Important. I have also had to cut off a retreive because of a Gator .
Better safe than Sorry.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Quack Addict

I hunted STA 5 this year and we lost a duck to a gator. Its was so fast that I thought about it and am 100% sure if I would have brought my dog I would have Lost him. This Gator popped out after a few mins (well after a dog could have made it there) and so fast nothing would have gotten away. He was about 8 feet long and I have pics of it all. Then after he got the duck he came to the boat and sat there a foot away waiting for us to shoot another one. End result we did not shoot anymore ducks and the gator sat there and crewed on decoys.

I guess my main question is what its the legal coruse if a gator attacks your dog...... I know what I would do and most hunters would do so I dont really need to post it.

Team Total ASalt. H3:18
Mossy Oak Pro Staff.
Team Hevi-Metal - I didn't come this far to MISS.
Whether I am Chasing the Jets from the north (Blue Bills) or hunting a field for Mallards and Geese Hevi Shot is the brand I trust!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Pintail

I hunt with some guys that won't let their dog swim for a duck. I don't let mine get out more than 40 yard and I make sure I mud buddy it up before I put out the dekes. I normally hunt in water up to two feet deep. I guess the key is to pay attention and be cautious.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Pintail

I worry more during teal season, but as HC stated if the dog is under control, and the handler can stop him/her, than just use common sense don't put the dog into any bad situation.
I usually hunt running water (that is water where dogs run instead of swim).
Also I am more catious setting up and hiding the boat as i cant see in the dark.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Regional Director

i worry about it all the time. dont let cold weather fool you. normally it gets warm than cold and warm again the gators still are eating. capt jeff told me about a friend of his lost his dog on a really cold morning. like don i dont let mine swim. too much love time and money spent in training the beast to let him get eaten by a gator over a duck. shallow water short retrieves

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Ringer

Glad to see so much concern. I have often wondered if I am being over-protective-- guess not. Most places I hunt, I don't take the dog due to gator concerns. I hunt Merritt Island and the STAs with her, but I stay away from the canals. She only runs in water I can stand in up to knee depth or a little deeper. I walk the area around the dekes after I set em up. I don't send her on any retrieves out of sight and not many long ones. Early teal --- depends. I hunted her in Emeralda this year b/c we found teal in a muck and mire hole only about a foot deep. Gators concerns affect my training with her as well....downside of living in Florida. On a related topic, I really want to put her on some quality safe duck hunts next year and am willing to travel (S. Dakota, Ark, Texas). Any experience or suggestions on how far I need to go? I know some of you guys have hunted out of state.

Don
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Mottled

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. I grew up in the middle of the Apalachicola National Forest right on the Ocklochonee River. And Iíve lost three dogs in my Lifetime, which isnít that long, to gators not even hunting at all. A dog in the water/near the water is about the best gator bait you can get. And I bagged every gator that killed my dogs as well so it wasnít the same one. Itís a strange thing because Iíve been in the water with them enough to know that they always run from me when Iím there. However the very second a dog steps in or starts swimming around, or wanting to play their interest sparks right up. I think itís important to always be cognoscente of your surroundings and your dogís abilities. Obviously this is ďgators according to AustinĒ here, but I can guarantee you that the way a dog swims in the water attracts gators more than anything you can buy at the store. Not trying to scare anyone away from taking their dogs hunting, but I would be sure to stir up the area a little bit before you settle in.
-Austin
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Quack Addict

check out this weeks episode of Gator boys . Tank and I were in it.
My educational part about water dogs and Gators were cut out.
But Tank made the show.
HiC
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Teal

I watched that episode of Gator boys of you and Tank, Fine looking dog!! How often do you need to call them to remove nuance gators?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
NE Regional Director...post ho

Gators are scared of bipeds (us) like all animals are but anything else is prey. They see a dog as easy non energy burning prey with lots of food.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Regional Director

I agree its hard to make a statement that fits all areas. there are some places on the river I dont hunt my dogs no matter what just too many gators around all the time. as for emeralda I think most of it is to deep for me. no amount of paying attention makes a difference if they can come in under water

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Ringer

Being an old airboater,I have been in areas for a while never exspecting a gator. I have idoled right over 8 footers laying on bottom.they can lay for hours to keep their thermal conditions down.
I was on Lake George one afternoon looking for slides,not seeing any gator heads.the vibration of the prop brought up ten to twenty heads all around,up
to 400 yards from shore,they can be there and you aren't aware. Spike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: