United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Redhead

Re: Dog food

My 2 cents. My wife is dietitian.She and another fellow did research to come up with the best dog foods. She narrowed it to two based on content. We ended going with Blue buffalo because it was readily available at petsmart or tractor supply. I have very please with it. The shedding has been minimized. It is pricey but if you get a petsmart card & check the internet they constantly post coupons to help out.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Sponsor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1 View Post
My 2 cents. My wife is dietitian.She and another fellow did research to come up with the best dog foods. She narrowed it to two based on content. We ended going with Blue buffalo because it was readily available at petsmart or tractor supply. I have very please with it. The shedding has been minimized. It is pricey but if you get a petsmart card & check the internet they constantly post coupons to help out.
DO NOT SHOP AT PETSMART!!!! The are a supporter of HSUS who is very anti-hunting. You can get BB at Petsupermarket and/or Petco and get the buy 10 and get 1 free deal (and they give you coupons).
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
NE Regional Director...post ho

I've been using Taste of the wild and she likes it, poops are good. She eats about 2 cups a day I just put it in her bowl in the morning and she picks whenever she's hungry and it lasts till the next morning. She's growing fast 27lbs now at 12 weeks. She has been housebroken since I got her she just knew and has got the sit, laydown, up, shake and fetch down, even catches her bumper in the air if I throw it just right to her. She's not afraid to jump and retrieved out of the water just not over her head deep yet.

Last edited by mudbone; 04-09-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Sponsor Member

Excellent. Most labs will eat until they puke (or worse) if you leave food out.

Make sure you don't let her eat for at least 2 - 3 hours before you work her. Can cause their stomachs to "turn". During hunting season, I don't feed Bristol until after we are back at the truck and she goes in her crate.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Update she's getting tall looking like a lanky teenager now and tips the scales at 35lbs.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Sponsor

Duckbone,

Post some current pictures of the new family member when you get a chance....... Txs

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 AM

She hadn't been to a pool in a week or so but as of her 4 month birthday a couple days ago she's full on water dog now. Jumps in off the side and retrieves whatever you throw in it. Oh and she's 40lbs now. I switched her to blue bell wilderness that Don suggested. She seems to like it better.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Quack Addict

Have you started her beer fetching yet?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM

No! One of my best friends and roommate at the time had a chocolate we trained to open the fridge and get beers, only problem was when we weren't home the dog would help himself to anything he wanted in there.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Sponsor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbone View Post
I switched her to blue bell wilderness that Don suggested. She seems to like it better.
Blue Buffalo.

I can't keep my dog out of the pool - we still have the safety fence around the pool just to keep the dog out....
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Regional Director

I had a problem in training scout to retrieve beer. dog never learned how to read

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Quack Addict

Nice looking pup Pat!!

To those of you that feed Pro Plan I think its excellent and a lot of pros feed it their dogs. Sams Food called Exceed is the same ingredients and supposedly made in the samo place. Dog poops on my dogs have been tiny and tight. IT does have some high protein but my dogs have always done well on it. Its less ecpensive than those designer foods and coats eyes etc are all good on multiple dogs.

If anyone has an issue with minor ear infections try homemade Purple Ear Solution. If you notice a funky smell or your dog shaking his head due to ear dicomfort just mix a batch at home and put in a squirt bottle you can safely put in your dogs ears. Gets rid of infections due to yeast mold water etc..... The stuff is almost magic. My dog swims at the beach, the pool, the canals, and everywhere. I havent taken him to the vet once in 5 years for any ear issues.

Tony

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbone View Post
I've been using Taste of the wild and she likes it, poops are good. She eats about 2 cups a day I just put it in her bowl in the morning and she picks whenever she's hungry and it lasts till the next morning. She's growing fast 27lbs now at 12 weeks. She has been housebroken since I got her she just knew and has got the sit, laydown, up, shake and fetch down, even catches her bumper in the air if I throw it just right to her. She's not afraid to jump and retrieved out of the water just not over her head deep yet.
27 pounds at 12 weeks , Holy cow I'm gonna need a bigger motor, trigger was 37 or 38 pounds at 12 weeks now he's 18 or 19 weeks and twice the size he was , I had him or taste of the wild but I switched him over to Blue buff and so far he like it a lot , He's got a shiny coat thats for sure. your dog looks great Pat I'd like to see her in person I' need some welding done for a light bracket mabey we can get together.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Quack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddfin View Post
If anyone has an issue with minor ear infections try homemade Purple Ear Solution. If you notice a funky smell or your dog shaking his head due to ear dicomfort just mix a batch at home and put in a squirt bottle you can safely put in your dogs ears. Gets rid of infections due to yeast mold water etc..... The stuff is almost magic. My dog swims at the beach, the pool, the canals, and everywhere. I havent taken him to the vet once in 5 years for any ear issues.

Tony
I use this stuff myself....Its the best thing for ear problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: