United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 AM
bandit1 bandit1 is offline
Redhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 261
Re: Dog food

My 2 cents. My wife is dietitian.She and another fellow did research to come up with the best dog foods. She narrowed it to two based on content. We ended going with Blue buffalo because it was readily available at petsmart or tractor supply. I have very please with it. The shedding has been minimized. It is pricey but if you get a petsmart card & check the internet they constantly post coupons to help out.
__________________
Gimme a Diablo sandwich and a Dr.Pepper. Make fast because I am in a GD hurry!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
D Duck's Avatar
D Duck D Duck is offline
Sponsor Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Winter Springs
Posts: 4,910
Re: Dog food

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit1 View Post
My 2 cents. My wife is dietitian.She and another fellow did research to come up with the best dog foods. She narrowed it to two based on content. We ended going with Blue buffalo because it was readily available at petsmart or tractor supply. I have very please with it. The shedding has been minimized. It is pricey but if you get a petsmart card & check the internet they constantly post coupons to help out.
DO NOT SHOP AT PETSMART!!!! The are a supporter of HSUS who is very anti-hunting. You can get BB at Petsupermarket and/or Petco and get the buy 10 and get 1 free deal (and they give you coupons).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
mudbone mudbone is offline
NE Regional Director...post ho
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,513
Re: Dog food

I've been using Taste of the wild and she likes it, poops are good. She eats about 2 cups a day I just put it in her bowl in the morning and she picks whenever she's hungry and it lasts till the next morning. She's growing fast 27lbs now at 12 weeks. She has been housebroken since I got her she just knew and has got the sit, laydown, up, shake and fetch down, even catches her bumper in the air if I throw it just right to her. She's not afraid to jump and retrieved out of the water just not over her head deep yet.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people.
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.

Last edited by mudbone; 04-09-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM
D Duck's Avatar
D Duck D Duck is offline
Sponsor Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Winter Springs
Posts: 4,910
Re: Dog food

Excellent. Most labs will eat until they puke (or worse) if you leave food out.

Make sure you don't let her eat for at least 2 - 3 hours before you work her. Can cause their stomachs to "turn". During hunting season, I don't feed Bristol until after we are back at the truck and she goes in her crate.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM
mudbone mudbone is offline
NE Regional Director...post ho
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,513
Re: Dog food

Update she's getting tall looking like a lanky teenager now and tips the scales at 35lbs.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people.
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
fishnbilly's Avatar
fishnbilly fishnbilly is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coral Springs
Posts: 9,390
Re: Dog food

Duckbone,

Post some current pictures of the new family member when you get a chance....... Txs
__________________
www.apexmarinerepair.com fishnbilly@aol.com

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"


Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 AM
mudbone mudbone is offline
NE Regional Director...post ho
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,513
Re: Dog food

She hadn't been to a pool in a week or so but as of her 4 month birthday a couple days ago she's full on water dog now. Jumps in off the side and retrieves whatever you throw in it. Oh and she's 40lbs now. I switched her to blue bell wilderness that Don suggested. She seems to like it better.

__________________
Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people.
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Chopper Chopper is offline
Quack Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Eau Gallie
Posts: 2,588
Re: Dog food

Have you started her beer fetching yet?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
mudbone mudbone is offline
NE Regional Director...post ho
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,513
Re: Dog food

No! One of my best friends and roommate at the time had a chocolate we trained to open the fridge and get beers, only problem was when we weren't home the dog would help himself to anything he wanted in there.
__________________
Never underestimate the power of a group of stupid people.
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
D Duck's Avatar
D Duck D Duck is offline
Sponsor Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Winter Springs
Posts: 4,910
Re: Dog food

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbone View Post
I switched her to blue bell wilderness that Don suggested. She seems to like it better.
Blue Buffalo.

I can't keep my dog out of the pool - we still have the safety fence around the pool just to keep the dog out....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Randy Clark's Avatar
Randy Clark Randy Clark is offline
Regional Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Longwood
Posts: 11,444
Re: Dog food

I had a problem in training scout to retrieve beer. dog never learned how to read
__________________
PROSTAFF JIM'S GATOR CLUB

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Reddfin's Avatar
Reddfin Reddfin is offline
Quack Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Palm Beach Gardens/Lake Worth
Posts: 1,240
Re: Dog food

Nice looking pup Pat!!

To those of you that feed Pro Plan I think its excellent and a lot of pros feed it their dogs. Sams Food called Exceed is the same ingredients and supposedly made in the samo place. Dog poops on my dogs have been tiny and tight. IT does have some high protein but my dogs have always done well on it. Its less ecpensive than those designer foods and coats eyes etc are all good on multiple dogs.

If anyone has an issue with minor ear infections try homemade Purple Ear Solution. If you notice a funky smell or your dog shaking his head due to ear dicomfort just mix a batch at home and put in a squirt bottle you can safely put in your dogs ears. Gets rid of infections due to yeast mold water etc..... The stuff is almost magic. My dog swims at the beach, the pool, the canals, and everywhere. I havent taken him to the vet once in 5 years for any ear issues.

Tony
__________________
No longer serving as a Regional Director of the South but, still a dedicated waterfowler and duck hunting authority (if only to myself)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Steve.r's Avatar
Steve.r Steve.r is offline
Quack Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,770
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Dog food

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbone View Post
I've been using Taste of the wild and she likes it, poops are good. She eats about 2 cups a day I just put it in her bowl in the morning and she picks whenever she's hungry and it lasts till the next morning. She's growing fast 27lbs now at 12 weeks. She has been housebroken since I got her she just knew and has got the sit, laydown, up, shake and fetch down, even catches her bumper in the air if I throw it just right to her. She's not afraid to jump and retrieved out of the water just not over her head deep yet.
27 pounds at 12 weeks , Holy cow I'm gonna need a bigger motor, trigger was 37 or 38 pounds at 12 weeks now he's 18 or 19 weeks and twice the size he was , I had him or taste of the wild but I switched him over to Blue buff and so far he like it a lot , He's got a shiny coat thats for sure. your dog looks great Pat I'd like to see her in person I' need some welding done for a light bracket mabey we can get together.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
EazyGauge EazyGauge is offline
Quack Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 2,847
Re: Dog food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddfin View Post
If anyone has an issue with minor ear infections try homemade Purple Ear Solution. If you notice a funky smell or your dog shaking his head due to ear dicomfort just mix a batch at home and put in a squirt bottle you can safely put in your dogs ears. Gets rid of infections due to yeast mold water etc..... The stuff is almost magic. My dog swims at the beach, the pool, the canals, and everywhere. I havent taken him to the vet once in 5 years for any ear issues.

Tony
I use this stuff myself....Its the best thing for ear problems.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2003-2013 United Waterfolwers-Florida, Inc.