United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page > Ask a Vet

Old 01-07-2016, 07:53 AM
South Regional Director

Dog eyes

Just thought I'd post this and see if there was anything you could add. My sister has an older Aussie I believe it's around 12 or 13. Found out it has hair growing out of the eye. Yea who knew but I guess it can happen. Her regular Vet said the only thing he knew about it was he read about it in school. I guess they can do some kind of laser surgery or something. She's found a vet here that can do a surgery I guess it specializes in that. Anything you might have for me to tell her? Have you ever seen it? Should we ship him on up there so you can see him? LOL. Thank you again, Chief.

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM
NW Regional Director

Re: Dog eyes

Couple of questions before I can answer.

Are we talking "distichiasis"? Ask if that sounds familiar.

Or are we talking a "dermoid cyst"?

These are two very different conditions with very different needs. The first is microfine hairs growing on the eyelids pointing toward the eyes. The latter is a small mass (benign tumor) that actually grows full size hair, and can be anywhere from the conjunctiva (pink part) to the sclera (white part) to the cornea (clear part) or a combination of all of them. I have seen lots of both. If solely confined to the sclera or the conjunctiva, any veterinarian comfortable with eye surgery could perform that. If the dermoid cyst involves the cornea - see the next paragraph.

If it were my dog, in either case (distichiasis or dermoid cyst involving the cornea), I would want it done by an ophthalmologist first or an experienced veterinary surgeon second, as both are a little tricky. Neither are all the uncommon - I have seen both many times.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:24 PM
South Regional Director

Re: Dog eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rvet View Post
Couple of questions before I can answer.

Are we talking "distichiasis"? Ask if that sounds familiar.

Or are we talking a "dermoid cyst"?

These are two very different conditions with very different needs. The first is microfine hairs growing on the eyelids pointing toward the eyes. The latter is a small mass (benign tumor) that actually grows full size hair, and can be anywhere from the conjunctiva (pink part) to the sclera (white part) to the cornea (clear part) or a combination of all of them. I have seen lots of both. If solely confined to the sclera or the conjunctiva, any veterinarian comfortable with eye surgery could perform that. If the dermoid cyst involves the cornea - see the next paragraph.

If it were my dog, in either case (distichiasis or dermoid cyst involving the cornea), I would want it done by an ophthalmologist first or an experienced veterinary surgeon second, as both are a little tricky. Neither are all the uncommon - I have seen both many times.
From what they've describe what's going on it's the cyst. After hearing this I think they have the right person I think it is the eye dr. I was just wondering if there was anything else or something they should look for. Thank you for the answer. Chief

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: