United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Old 09-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Teal

Big problem

Tried to hunt my 1 year old lab during early teal. He would watch birds fall, swim out to them but would not pick them up. He's worked with dead ducks during training and has no problem retrieving them when I throw them but lookung back i may not have done enough of it....What should I do? How can I get him more birdy?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Quack Addict

Re: Big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflhunter View Post
Tried to hunt my 1 year old lab during early teal. He would watch birds fall, swim out to them but would not pick them up. He's worked with dead ducks during training and has no problem retrieving them when I throw them but lookung back i may not have done enough of it....What should I do? How can I get him more birdy?
If the water is shallow walk out there with him and see if he will pick the bird up, if he does then try to send him out there solo. Im no expert but my dog did this also , so I walked out to the bird with him and he picked the bird up and that's all it took.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Regional Director

Can you get him around a more experienced dog Griz wouldn't pick up cripples till he saw Scout chasing them and bringing them back and than the completion of being the top dog took over..... Of course now I have a new pup also shy and inexperienced will see how he does Saturday at the dove field...

Practice and experience I think the biggest problem is not being able to shoot around them and do dead duck retrieves. Probably another reason to join your local hunt and retriever club

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Sponsor Member

Have you done Force Fetch training? If not, this will cure your problem.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Teal

Going to go back and do force fetch again. I didn't do it thoroughly enough the first time.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM
NW Regional Director

You are describing my dog to a Tee on his first hunt. Force fetch is the answer. Be really solid with it and don't move on to the next step until you have the full and complete A+ grade for that step. Make sure the dog thoroughly understands that when dad is upset/scolding/harsh/frustrated, the one sure way to make that go away is to get something in your mouth - and quick.

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force1.html
http://www.oakhillkennel.com/library/force/force2.html

Those are invaluable and make it easy. I like the walking fetch and had 10 dummies around my property and we would walk from one to the next. He would start to get antsy when we got near one and eventually would lunge at the dummy like a Wildman upon the fetch command.

I think getting strong with force to pile and hand signals is a must as well. Whistle stop and over and back are all keys. My dog is a long way from a field trial dog, but getting these basic commands and then tuning him up preseason is fun and he loves it. He made a 400 yard, handled retrieve to a snow goose in a Mississippi field this past year and I could not have been more proud. Mine is not the strongest marker in the world, but with hand signals, I can get him close and let his nose do the rest.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Ringer

Before I jumped back in to FF I would make sure the dog is crazy about retrieving birds. Wing clipped pigeons work great. You also need someone else to throw them, so the dog isn't expecting the birds to come from you.
1 yo is really young and he is still very much a puppy. You have to be very careful from a pressure standpoint on a young dog, especially if he has marginal drive.
I know everyone has their opinions, but I am not a fan of taking really young dogs hunting, and 1 is really young. Lot of problems can come up and the tools to fix them aren't in place.
Where do you live? If you are near a retriever club, they could really help with this.
Also, are you using a formal program to train him?

Buck
Old 09-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Sponsor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmannjr View Post
Before I jumped back in to FF I would make sure the dog is crazy about retrieving birds. Wing clipped pigeons work great. You also need someone else to throw them, so the dog isn't expecting the birds to come from you.
This ^^^^

Quote:
I know everyone has their opinions, but I am not a fan of taking really young dogs hunting, and 1 is really young. Lot of problems can come up and the tools to fix them aren't in place.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Taking a dog before they are ready creates issues that are hard to fix if you're occupied with hunting and not spending those times as training moments.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Pintail

I had this same thing happen with my BLM when he was 1, years ago, it is not uncommon. Dog was FF perfectly, it happens, but guess what on hunt number 2 he picked up everyone that hit the water. Don't be so concerned with the hunt with a young dog, let your blind mates shoot you handle the dog. A true Hunting situation is a big step up from a controlled hunt test or training session.
Some good advise here.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Pintail

Not hijack the original post, but since FF came up, I thought I'd ask...

I'm about three days into FF from hand, and have slowly tried to transition to FF from ground. Not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong but he will grab the bumper whole heartily from hand, but from the ground he just kind of mouths it then just lays down next to it. I quickly re apply ear pinch but it's like he gives up. I've stopped from moving any further in fear I'm putting to much pressure on him. Should I stick with FF from hand or push through FF from ground with more pressure? He had a bad mouthing problem with just grabbing the end of the bumpers and the strings instead of a nice solid hold. Yesterday I cut the strings off and reinforced grabbing the middle of the bumper, seemed to work well.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Ringer

My first thought is that his FF on the bench wasn't adequate. There is very much an art to doing FF well. I would get someone with experience to observe. Just as an aside, I always get my FF and basics done by a pro. Then you have a solid foundation without any holes to start transition work.
When the pro that I use gets a dog that has had FF done by an amateur he has to redo FF the majority of the time.
Whose program are you using?
Again, I would get someone with experience to observe.

Buck
Old 10-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Pintail

Quote:
My first thought is that his FF on the bench wasn't adequate. There is very much an art to doing FF well. I would get someone with experience to observe. Just as an aside, I always get my FF and basics done by a pro. Then you have a solid foundation without any holes to start transition work.
When the pro that I use gets a dog that has had FF done by an amateur he has to redo FF the majority of the time.
Whose program are you using?
Again, I would get someone with experience to observe.

Buck
Thanks buck, no one local I know of. But I'll record him tonight and post again. I'm sure I'll get chastised, but started using Lardy, but find myself using Freddy king a lot since I can watch videos anywhere anytime.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Ringer

Stick with the Lardy FF material.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Pintail

Quote:
Stick with the Lardy FF material.
Will do!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Sponsor Member

Evan Graham's Smartwork DVD on FF is very good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: