United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 05-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Quack Addict

LED boat light

I searched forum and saw discussion of backup lights and some pricey mega units in the bow. I am thinking of a very affordable 2 x 18W LED 4.5" pair to possibly mount on bow side rails to light up the trail. Don't usually cross any big water. Do you think this would provide enough light? I do have good eyesight!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Wigeon

Re: LED boat light

Hey Raul,
I was thinking something similar
A lot of what I read is to have both flood and spots...and some concern about fog (able to kill the floods and only have spots)
Have not concluded what I will do...
yea I know, this comment is on no help.
:-)
Old 05-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Wigeon

Hey Raul,
I was thinking something similar
A lot of what I read is to have both flood and spots...and some concern about fog (able to kill the floods and only have spots)
Have not concluded what I will do...
yea I know, this comment is on no help.
:-)

Was considering 4 of these...2 spots in middle and 2 floods, one on each side
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHU7HRA..._t3_B01EJWB62U
Old 05-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Quack Addict

Bayport, that is mostly what I ordered, but only a pair. I also ordered the wire/switch assembly so I can easily turn them off. Most times I want to steer and not have to fiddle with the handheld, and just need some good light on the trail. I also don't want something too bright and blind other boaters, and then put it on the front of the bow and have to add a protection shroud, and then this would obstruct the regular bow light. I figure, at those prices, even if they are insufficient, I can use them as backup lights on either the boat or popup trailer.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Sponsor Member

those cheap 18 w are ok for lake ok Trails....But they are cheap. In my case , I left them outside exposed to weather and they leaked....

I bought again from
https://www.online-led-store.com/

Personally I had a welder build me a bracket that is removable and has four LED lights.....2 swivel flood

https://www.online-led-store.com/lam...rzledlbr104-sp

on the out side

and two center spots

https://www.online-led-store.com/lam...rzledlbr107-fl

However, my friend spent the extra money and got the RIGID brand ..off road....They cost more but 2 of those small, 6 bulb lights light it up more than my 4 light set up
Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Quack Addict

So far my relatively cheap rear submersible trailer LED lights are still working, a vast improvement on the previous bulb type...like I stated, don't need vast amount of light- my rechargeable handheld Sirius LED is sweet and is much easier to tote than the Q beam it replaced plus no drain on the boat battery- but figure those 2 x 18W should be enough to keep me on the trail. Could probably rig some kind of weatherproof covers for them and since they will be higher up on the side rails should not get sprayed too often. I went the cheap route to replace the standard bow/aft light bulbs with LED compatibles, much better lighting and less draw on the batt. At the prices of those big bar type LED's, I'd rather get a new scattergun! Difficult to run covert duck missions with all those watts!!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:23 AM
Quack Addict

Got the 2 x 18W LED's in and mounted them on the rails. Did a test last night at the house, and man, they are bright and are plenty to light up the trail. Now to do the wiring- got an assembly including a rocker switch, inline fuse, relay, and connectors. I have noticed that the LED all around light attracts less bugs, maybe because it is not giving off much heat? To all those afflicted, teal season looms...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: