United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Quack Addict

Trailer tire brand

My 4.80-12 boat trailer tires need to be replaced...tread worn, some "spider web" cracks on sidewall. Only three seasons, figure 2,000 miles. Have always kept proper inflation and on concrete. These were Loadstar Load range C tires.
Figure my 1648 grizzly, longtail motor, battery, gas tank, and hunting/fishing load= 900#. Could probably use Load range B but want the extra weight rating of C.
Been shopping- see Kenda, Carlisle, Wanda brands- any suggestions or brand I should stay away from? A local tire shop can mount new tires on my galvanized wheels which are fine- cost is still less than buying tire/wheel combo. They also balance them- though some say it is not necessary I don't think it can hurt.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:56 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Trailer tire brand

What is also confusing is what psi to inflate the tires? Several articles state to inflate fully to max pressure- for these Load range C tires it is 90 psi! Seems too much given the quick wear on my tires.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Quack Addict

To follow up, a Load range B tire (same size) inflates to 60 psi and is rated for 795# per tire, that total is still about 500# above my loaded jon boat. Would it make sense to use B instead of C, to reduce tire wear?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Sponsor Member

Can't give you any advice on tire brands, I'd say there are several decent ones out there that will give you reasonable service life. I've got the Kendra Loadstar K550's on my trailer in 13" diameter. They are relatively cheap, but actually have turned out to be pretty decent tire for the money. I've always figured that if I get 4 or 5 years out of my trailer tires then I'm a happy camper. I believe I've got close to 6,000 miles on these over 4 years and they still look good enough for at least one more season. But I also have the luxury of being able to keep my boat and trailer in my garage out of the weather which certainly extends the life of my tires.

As for inflation pressure, that's kind of a tough call. I've heard people you should always put the max amount of pressure in them, but my experience is that if you're running a relatively light load maybe you could get away with something less. My tires are rated for 1350# and my boat and motor probably run a little less than 500 lbs so it's a fairly light load relatively speaking. The recommended pressure is 50 psi and I generally keep them at that pressure and haven't noticed any significant wear pattern, it just seems to be pretty even overall. Either way you have to keep an eye on the wear pattern to see if you need to go with more or less.

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Quack Addict

I think i might have room to go to a 13" size. I will take the trailer next month to the shop and see what they recommend. Wish i had a garage!
Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Sponsor Member

Most of what I've heard over the years recommends going with the largest tire your trailer will take. Larger tires run slower so theoretically run cooler because of it, certainly better on the tread. I see some guys pulling trailers with those dinky little 8" tires and they just look like they're working really hard, especially at highway speeds. With tires I just think bigger is better, but that's just an opinion.

I'm lucky in that we were able to build a detached garage back in 2002 when money was cheap and we got good financing (we were both still working too). I can keep both my fishing boat and my duck boat in there which makes upkeep a lot simpler and also helps things last longer by keeping them out of the sun. Don't have to worry about those pesky squirrels chewing on the wires and lines either...

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: