United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Teal

Re: Suggestions for dog training books/videos

You need to ask yourself do I want a hunting dog or hunt test dog. I like smartworks and Evan Graham is willing to answer your question on RTF forum or Mike Lardy series as well. Buy as many as you can and take away different aspects of them.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Bufflehead

No doubt I want a hunting dog. While hunting nature throws enough tests at a dog, there is no reason for people to get involved and judge my dog on their scale. If it minds, is a great house dog, is fun to hunt with and safely finds and retrieves birds that is all that would matter to me. A judge could decide it is the worst dog in the world if it can come close on the above requirements the dog is a complete sucess in my book. It has to love what it is doing and I will be happy just enjoying watching it do what it loves to do.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Bufflehead

It doesn't matter if you train for hunt test or hunting. A more thorough program will make a better dog. The problem with water dog, 10-minute retriever, and other books is just that, they are books. I promise you that when you get to things such as force fetch it becomes much easier to understand what you are doing when you can see it applied practically. I do run hunt tests, but only a couple a year. I will tell you that hunt tests isn't so much about someone judging your dog. To me it is fun, but more importantly it is the drive for me to train year round. I promise you that no matter how well your attentions are when July/August hits in Florida the training goes out the window.

And yes I speak from experience!!!

Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Quack Addict

my dogs are Meat dogs and house dogs but can get it done in the field. i dont run hunt tests and dont want to, i am not going to train my dog to run 100 plus yard blinds, not in Fla. i want my dog close to me and under control and pick up my birds. my pup can handle and run short blind, but my main goal was for working him close, picking up multibles and handle in close and have fun.

Lenny

here is one of our videos from one of our training days in NC last year, the red lab is my buddy Bob Vetter and the black lab is mine and 18 months old.
http://youtu.be/AHFERWR0OfM

Member of the BIG LEAGUERS

Supporter/Member of the 24/7 Crew

Last edited by filter; 12-25-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Teal

Akc/Ukc test are about pass or fail. No what place you dog ranks. I do hunt test for the fact it puts birds in my dogs mouth and the friendships that I have developed over the years through training groups. If you are just wanting a hunting dog go with Chris Akins duck dog basics 1 and 2 if 2 available. Chris is a master at hunting dogs and a great guy to know as well. Good luck with your dog.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Bufflehead

Lenny
That video is pretty cool. I thought my lab was fast but I think yours has mine beat. How old is your Lab (looks great)?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Quack Addict

Thanks Kevin, mine just turned 3 and is 60lbs

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Ringer

Richard Wolters wrote several excellent books (Water Dog, Gun Dog, Game Dog, etc)) many years ago before he passed (in a glider accident) and much of the information is still relevant. However, in the video series to his books you will note that Professional Trainer in them is Charlie Jurney. He trained my Chesapeake a few years back and is hands down the best in the business, not to mention a heck of a nice guy. Charlie's latest book is more updated and refined.

"FINISHED DOG: A Complete Training Manual for the Finished Hunting Retriever" by Charles Jurney

It is also available as an eBook from Amazon
Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 AM
Quack Addict

fowldawgs is the best one Ive found so far. Fair price, very easy to follow along and trainer tells you problems that may arise and how to fix them.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Teal

I used Joan Bailey's two books. No electronics needed and about 15 minutes twice a day..

http://swanvalleypress.com/pages/bes...t_trained.html
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Quack Addict

Fowldawgs is a good book Eric, Hammer an E-collars are a tool just like a heeling sticks, ear pinch, toe pull, what ever. my pup is a 1 on his collar all the time, but when we FF'ed him we had to call sportdog to reporgram the collar to make it hotter, he just did not want to go to the ground to pick up a bumper. i have seen dog trained with no collar and allot that have, it a tool and they work. you just have to proper collar condtion the dog and they are great. they also work great when you start handle Back-Fecth-Nick or Over- Fetch-Nick. i love a Force Fetched dog.

Lenny

Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Bufflehead

What a wealth of knowledge and experience here.
I have ordered a Sportdogs 1825 Collar. I have read 2 books and have decided a puppy is not in my near future. Going to work with my 6yr old Black Lab and just try to break some of her bad habits and let her true self shine through. She has been hunting a few times and considering her training she does very well. Really the only thing I need to break on her is her breaking early. The Collar is more to break some other habits she has gotten away with and off leash there is no way to re-enforce, and to be sure we can bring her back in the marsh. I always head for the duck with her, just love watching her work, not to mention she loves it. I wasn't sure how much she really liked it, but after bringing home a few ducks from trips she satayed home, she gets mad at me for not bringing her.
My main reason to not get a puppy right now is I don't have enough time to dedicate to it and my girlfriend who is too busy at the moment to be much help. Things should be settling down within the next year or so. It will come, just not quite yet.
Thank you everyone for the info, and none of it is being over looked, in fact I am printing this out and going to keep it around for future reference.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Quack Addict

Kevin get a hand held launcher if you dont have one, that way you can make it as close to hunting as you can, the loud report and the bumper fly high and far.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Bufflehead

Lenny I already have one. That was one of the first things I bought. I took her to Michigan last year and Pheasant hunted over her, and she got a little gun jumpy.. Can't realy call it gun shy. With the Launcher all she does is get more excited when she hears the bang now. As for Pheasant hunting she did great on the Hen's, the Roosters were out running her as she was afraid to get more than about 30 maybe 40 yds away from me. Can't say I blame her when she is a whole new area, new guys with her, and nothing like she is used to.
She was born on a farm where she was abused and treated pretty poorly, fortunately Annette came along and brought her home at about 5.5 months old. She now has THE LIFE. OF course I think she is half the dog she is, because she knows how bad life can be and how good she has it now. I bet she is in laying on the couch right now, if not she is for sure in HER chair.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwwings2 View Post
Lenny I already have one. That was one of the first things I bought. I took her to Michigan last year and Pheasant hunted over her, and she got a little gun jumpy.. Can't realy call it gun shy. With the Launcher all she does is get more excited when she hears the bang now. As for Pheasant hunting she did great on the Hen's, the Roosters were out running her as she was afraid to get more than about 30 maybe 40 yds away from me. Can't say I blame her when she is a whole new area, new guys with her, and nothing like she is used to.
She was born on a farm where she was abused and treated pretty poorly, fortunately Annette came along and brought her home at about 5.5 months old. She now has THE LIFE. OF course I think she is half the dog she is, because she knows how bad life can be and how good she has it now. I bet she is in laying on the couch right now, if not she is for sure in HER chair.
Kevin,

Ruger is 6 yrs old and we have been hunting for approx 3 yrs. I waited late to train him and he was almost 3 yrs old when hunting was introduced to him. Approx. 18 months ago I made the BIG mistake of taking him when we did some close quarter tactics with 14" barrel AR-15 and I never realized that he would become afraid of the noise and the sight of a gun from that day. I spoke to a trainer and he instructed me to go around the house and bang stuff around him and reassure him right afterwards. Started with mild things and then worked up to pots and pans and he over came that noise. We then worked with leaving a pellet gun next to his crate to sleep next to it and then graduated to carrying the pellet gun on our walks.

Finally trips to walk the line at the skeet & trap range where he was re-assured all during the shooting and he got less and less gun shy. I even got permission to have him within 5 feet of a shooter and when he shot I would launch the dummy for him to retrieve. Fast forward to this season he is back in the blind and not a bit gun shy and is the " old buddy" I had.

Patience and don't over do it. Once he gets bored we quit and do something he likes and then go back to where we left off.

Good Luck and the BEST

Not sure which bathroom to use....look in your pants...there's your sign you "transbender AH"

"Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, but after a shooting, the problem is the gun!

"Guns are like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Member of "The Marina Mile Militia"

"The SOUTH shall rise AGAIN"..MASTER of the South

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: