United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Dogs and dog training page

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Bufflehead

Suggestions for dog training books/videos

I am curious to see what everyone uses for dog training literature. I have a well trained Lab, just not a duck hunting trained lab. I know there is a puppy in my future and would like to start researching the training process. I will probably buy a dog that is started, from a reputable breeder, and then do the rest myself.
I want to start reading about it now, and then would go back through the book as I am working through the training. Not really big on DVD's but that seems to be a common method from what I have seen so far.

Thanks for any input..

Kevin
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Bufflehead

Re: Suggestions for dog training books/videos

Smartworks series is the best, or if your on a tighter budget get the fowldogs series. The smartworks has both books and dvds. Stay away from watardog and other such book only programs. The books only approach is usually not as comprehensive.

Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Regional Director

I used jim waters water dog gun dog series, some will say its dated but if it works thats what matters to me

member lake jessup duck club
there should be a sta in central florida
Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Redhead

Hey Kevin,

Send me a pm with your address, and I'll mail you my copy of Water Dog by Richard Wolters.

Or, if you prefer to come get it, I live up here in Vero Beach.

Either way, give me a holler.

Satchel's Dad
John Paige III
772-633-8883
Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Mottled

I am not a professional by any means of the word, I am on My first dog, and he is 2, and does well. Very obedient, and handles well, by far not the fastest horse in the barn but gets the job done. I used the smart works, I also used the 10 min retriever by Amy and John Dahl, Retriever training drills for marking and Retriever training drills for Blind Retrieves by James Spencer, Water Dog by Richard Wolters, and Training your retriever By James Lamb Free. I think that it helped me to learn a bunch of different concepts. Also having friends that are training is priceless, as you can bounce ideas off of each other. One thing for sure is consistency in training is key. You are going to make mistakes and when you realize it it will be a pain to correct. For me I think I handle my dog to much, and from what I have read that is common among new trainers. It causes the dog to pop, and now we are going thru the painful correction phase.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Sponsor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect XX View Post
Smartworks series is the best, or if your on a tighter budget get the fowldogs series. The smartworks has both books and dvds. Stay away from watardog and other such book only programs. The books only approach is usually not as comprehensive.
I agree. Read all the books, but get the Smartworks DVD series. If you are a novice, it will give you excellent detail on "how to's" and "what to do when's". You can get the entire series (recommended) here:

http://www.rushcreekpress.com/homepage.html
Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Bufflehead

Kevin, go to a few hunt tests, make some friends, maybe even join the treasure coast retriever club. I had my chessie pro trained. Learning how to do what the trainer does with him was a big challenge. Members of the club and other competitors get together to train , working with them as a group and sharing ideas and suggestions was invaluable to me and my dog. Rich
Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Sponsor Member

Another good suggestion - join a retreiver training group (HRC or UKC).
Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Bufflehead

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to start with reading a few differant books. I am not in the position to buy the pup yet, so lots of time to read and figure things out. I figure planning early is my best option.

My biggist difficulty is going to be I am out of town 4-6 days at a time, but when I am home 3-5 days at a time I will have a fair amount of time to work with her.
Thanks for the info guys. Will be looking into local retriever clubs.

Kevin
Old 12-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Pintail

Kevin, we got a dog yesterday- 3 yr old black lab- shelter dog but she checked out ok. Couldn't afford a dog from the place that I wanted- www.uklabs.com but they have good training videos etc. I've been to Wildrose and it's first class. I know this dog will be a project but my son seems determined to make it work. You'll see me on this side of the forum a lot more! See you tomorrow am.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Bufflehead

I just bought an old copy of Waterdogs off Ebay for a whole $10.00. Yes it is old but I bet it still makes a good guidelines and if nothing else a good read. Even though our lives have changed in 30+ yrs I don't think a dogs life has changed much, about the only thing it won't include I think would be important is the use of Electronic collars.
Steven, Congrats... What kind of dog did you get? I just hope it isn't gun shy, that is probably the hardest thing to get them around if they are. If a Lab the instincts tend to cover much of the rest. We aught to get our dogs together and see if we can work them together. Jazz has a pretty good grasp on it, and maybe she can pass some traits over. I am half tempted to bring her tomorrow, but think I am going to pass because we are trying to walk on. Plus I am not sure my Ruff Stand will be here in time. I am really hoping it gets deliverred today. See you in the morning.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Quack Addict

Chris Akins Duck Dog Basics and Tom Dokken's Retriever Training

smartwork is also good.

Member of the BIG LEAGUERS

Supporter/Member of the 24/7 Crew

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Bufflehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by filter View Post
Chris Akins Duck Dog Basics and Tom Dokken's Retriever Training

smartwork is also good.
I am half way through reading Tom Dokken's Retriever training and have to say I like it cause he doesn't BS around it is short and to the point. I have the old Waterdog on it's way. I realize it is old but lets face it a dogs life has not changed other than Electronic collars. I plan to read 2-3 books then probably create my own time-line and combine the methods to what works best for the dog I am working with. I have a feeling it may end up being a year or 2 before I have the opportunity to get a pup and train it. I am hoping to apply some of it to my current 6.5 yr old and see if I can correct a few not so great habits, but nothing huge. Overall she is a great dog, just needs a few small corrections.
Thanks guys for the input, greately appreciate it.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Quack Addict

every dog is diffrent no one book is right, one of the best things i did to my last pup was force fetch and using an E-collar, it was the first times i did it and i will FF and use and E-collar with proper collar conditioning on every pup from now on. my pup turned 3 on the 16th and he does not wear his E-collar very much any more. My best friend is Bob Vetter, Bob work at FireWater with Justin Tacket as a guide/dog trainer and he has also work for Stacy West and SRS, i learned more from him than any book.

one other tip is shoot some birds over your dog, get some quail and some land and turn him loose. make it easy and fun.

my pup is just as good flushing upland as he is duck hunitng i was shooting released chuckars over him at 9 months old.
Lenny

Member of the BIG LEAGUERS

Supporter/Member of the 24/7 Crew

Last edited by filter; 12-19-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Mottled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwwings2 View Post
I am half way through reading Tom Dokken's Retriever training and have to say I like it cause he doesn't BS around it is short and to the point. I have the old Waterdog on it's way. I realize it is old but lets face it a dogs life has not changed other than Electronic collars. I plan to read 2-3 books then probably create my own time-line and combine the methods to what works best for the dog I am working with. I have a feeling it may end up being a year or 2 before I have the opportunity to get a pup and train it. I am hoping to apply some of it to my current 6.5 yr old and see if I can correct a few not so great habits, but nothing huge. Overall she is a great dog, just needs a few small corrections.
Thanks guys for the input, greately appreciate it.
I bought a copy of waterdog in 1993, and carried it around for 16 years before I was able to put it to use. You should have heard my wife every time we moved or did spring cleaning, ask me why I still had the book. well 18 years later I finaly showed her I have a dog that is on his second season.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: