United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM
Quack Addict

Turkey talk

Yup, or yelp, here it comes, slowly but surely...spring turkey. On another thread I said I bought an Avian X hen decoy to add to my "toolkit". Anybody got any new calls or such? I plan to read Lovett Williams' book on turkey biology, and see if I can find a copy of anything by Tom Kelly- prices on even used books are way high!
Used some goop to glue back part of the sole on my Lacrosse boots, and added new insoles to these. Time to screw in the x-full choke into the Benelli Supernova and locate the sling.
The popup camper is about ready, have to fix the lp stove.
Anybody else have a fever yet?
I know this is primarily a duck hunting venue, so my apologies to the purists- I don't think a bit of turkey talk disturbs too much.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Turkey talk

I've tried to lighten the load each spring, but not easy to do. I figure carrying the Benelli 8#, folding chair 9#, vest 15#( includes 1/2 decoys, canteen of water, calls, binocs, knife, snacks, etc) we are up to 35#. Been walking each morning a brisk 3 miles, thinking of "rucking", just read about that, adding a weighted backpack (start with 20#?). I average 4 miles roundtrip most hunts, sometimes more. Do you all carry similar amount? I have tried without the chair but the comfort it provides outweighs the discomfort of carrying it.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Pintail

Besides the gun, the chair would probably be the last thing Id quit taking. Its good for napping as well!!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Quack Addict

Haven't seen it in the regs but just wondering. Apart from prescribed burns, the grass is usually higher than you want for hunting in the WMA's. I've used a machete before (better a hand scythe if I can find one) to clear out some of the high grass/shrubs between my proposed blind and where I expect to shoot any bird that crosses. I carry small shears to create small openings in the brush many times. Is either activity a violation? Sure is nice on private land (I've only seen in videos or bypassing on the road) where they clear our large swaths between trees and sloughs, leaving a veritable manicured lawn.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Quack Addict

Squid, absolutely the chair is a must! In the early years I took a camo cushion and sat on the ground. Dang uncomfortable, you always got cold and wet, and many times it was too low for seeing well and shooting.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:25 AM
Pintail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul G View Post
Squid, absolutely the chair is a must! In the early years I took a camo cushion and sat on the ground. Dang uncomfortable, you always got cold and wet, and many times it was too low for seeing well and shooting.
I decided to buy a blind so now two chairs or buckets are a must. With my daughter going the past few years, I had been using burlap sheets to create a small ground blind around us; this worked well for doves shoots too. Im hoping it will allow us more time to sit and keep most of the sun/rain out as well.

Well check it out in the back yard to see what works best and back to an original concern you had, how much weight will this add? Im thinking 20-lbs and hope she can handle it, JK of course.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Quack Addict

I have a doghouse blind, tight fit for two, suggest something a little bigger.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Pintail

Well doghouse style is what Ill try - they were 1/2 the weight of the others - 60x60x66- hope this one lasts a few seasons before she gets too big!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Quack Addict

I replaced the supplied pin stakes with plastic tent stakes-holds better specially if windy.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Quack Addict

I have box, pot, mouth, tube calls but never had a push pin type. The one I heard sounded real good, don't remember the brand. Is there one worth getting? Many get bad reviews because the spring falls out or similar complaints. Always looking to add more instruments to the spring "symphony"!
Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Pintail

Im hoping to make a wingbone call later this year.

My daughter is ready - 10-yards with a .410, 2-1/2, #6. After 20-yds it really opens up. May drop in a 3 shell next weekend.

Love the doghouse blind and will fit both of us.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Quack Addict

Great! Good luck! My doghouse is still in good shape after five seasons! I used some tent seam seal and keep it stored indoors.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM
South Regional Director

Just got back from the NWTF convention in Nashville. Spent way too much money on call's but picked up a few new ones and finally got the Marlin Watkins box call I've been wanting. Scott Bashore is building me a wingbone from the hen I killed in New York that he guided me on. Hopefully I'll have that in a few weeks. I can't run them with a hoot but am trying. Marlin is going to help me with the long box this fall in New York and Scott say's he'll help me with the Wingbone Yelper.
Picked up the new TSS shotgun shells up too. A lot new products coming out this year.
So this week was a good way to get fired up for turkey season. Bubba

24/7 South Florida Crew
Proud son of a Revolutionary, Confederate, W.W.1, W.W.2 and Korean War veterans.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Quack Addict

Good deal, Bubba! I do make a yearly donation to NWTF, but never had the opportunity to go to a fund raiser and/or convention! I do have a wingbone call but never took it afield. I bought a friction call- a Do-ral from Midwest supply- hoping to get it soon. Thought about getting new shells but still have some vintage Winchester Supreme 3.5" #4 shells that I will tote.
Got the camper ready, hope to scout in a couple of weeks, my heart is racing already!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: