United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 05-18-2019, 09:23 AM
Quack Addict

Federal "new" Speed shok v Ultra sho

Federal blues have been good but on the dirty side. New ones are claimed to be cleaner. Ultra shok is 30$ more per case (109$ v 129$- Rogers). Any reviews? I need 3" 12 ga #3 1 1/4 oz loads...
Old 05-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Sponsor Member

Re: Federal "new" Speed shok v Ultra sho

If it were me, I'd go with Kent Fasteel. Rogers currently has the 3", 1 1/4 oz on sale for $124.99 / case. It says #1 shot, but I believe it also lists #3 shot size so suspect that's available for the same price. I don't know what shipping would be, that could add a few bucks, but it's a better deal than the Ultra Shok.

I've been using Kent Fasteel exclusively for quite a few years now, it patterns and shoots really well in my Browning, and seems to be fairly clean. But I clean my gun after every hunt anyway so that really isn't an issue for me. I just really like the performance I get from it and will likely get another case to have on hand even if I don't think I'll need it next season.

Originally Posted by duckbone:
QUOTA PERMITS...the root of all evil in florida hunting.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Quack Addict

Used Kent before my current five year plan with Federal, nothing wrong with them at all. I like #3 shot better than #4- gets those ringers good! I might mix and match. Rio has also been a surprise- they are introducing a biodegradable shell this fall.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Sponsor Member

I've been using #4's for about as long as I can remember, they work really well on just about anything I have the chance to shoot up in this part of the state. But then I'm not inclined to take shots much beyond 35 yards if I can help it and the #4's are perfectly fine at that range. Although I will say that late season Ringnecks can be a bit tougher than, say, BW Teal, but still not much of a problem when shooting close over decoys.

I suppose the bottom line is that people are going to use whatever brand and shot size they are comfortable and confident with, and that's fine, so everyone's opinion on what is best is just that, an opinion. I'm sure you will do well with whatever you decide to purchase.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Quack Addict

Like you, I have become wise and it is primarily over the decoys- IC and #3 are deadly...#4 is ok but I have to follow up more. Occasionally I team up my two 20 ga guns and use 3" #4 loads also with IC and they actually seem to work better than 12 ga. loads.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Sponsor Member

I haven't used my 20 gauge duck hunting yet, but with the right loads over decoys I'm sure it would be fine (and fun too!). Using #3's or even #4's with an IC choke would do the trick, and I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the 20 gauge was as good or better than the 12 gauge at close range.

I bought a Browning BSS 20 gauge last year to use for dove and quail hunting, but think I might give it a try on ducks this coming season. There's something nostalgic about using a side by side in the duck blind that I find appealing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: