United Waterfowlers Web Forums  

Go Back   United Waterfowlers Web Forums > Boats, Blinds, Gear, & Guns

Old 11-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Teal

Go-Devil Long Tail problems

I cannot seem to figure out my issue for my 16hp GDLT. Currently runs a 9x3 prop on a 1242 fiberglass flat bottom skiff. Runs perfectly (high rpms outta the water) but when its in the water only turns 2100 rpms on full throttle (keeps me running at about 11 mph solo) which is doable until I add another body and drop to 6.8mph.

Does this seem right to anyone? I used to run a 10hp Swamp Runner on a 13ft gheenoe and ran faster... Has anyone had similar problems.. I'm debating on upgrading motors but I also feel that I'm only using half the motor or so. I'm not great with engines, and I've had it worked and looked over.. didn't have the rpm problem bc the guy didn't work on the motor in the water.

Any suggestions or help would be great...TIA
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Quack Addict

Re: Go-Devil Long Tail problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgoldbe2 View Post
I cannot seem to figure out my issue for my 16hp GDLT. Currently runs a 9x3 prop on a 1242 fiberglass flat bottom skiff. Runs perfectly (high rpms outta the water) but when its in the water only turns 2100 rpms on full throttle (keeps me running at about 11 mph solo) which is doable until I add another body and drop to 6.8mph.

Does this seem right to anyone? I used to run a 10hp Swamp Runner on a 13ft gheenoe and ran faster... Has anyone had similar problems.. I'm debating on upgrading motors but I also feel that I'm only using half the motor or so. I'm not great with engines, and I've had it worked and looked over.. didn't have the rpm problem bc the guy didn't work on the motor in the water.

Any suggestions or help would be great...TIA
How did it use to run? Is that the right size prop for that motor? How does the bottom of your boat look, any hooks, dents or abnormalities??

Longtails are very weight sensitive...
Old 11-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Ringer

What is your weight distribution? Have you moved the gas tank and battery to the bow? Also if the prop has significant wear, that can lead to reduced speed.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Teal

I bought the rig used and was told it ran between 16-18 mph..

The weight is distributed the best it can be.. i usually run with minimal gear with all the weight toward the front (boat rides well in the water), the bottom is slick as can be. The prop doesn't seem to be too worn down, but its hard to tell.. According to GD its the right size prop, so I'm not sure what is going on
Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Quack Addict

Quote:
I bought the rig used and was told it ran between 16-18 mph..

The weight is distributed the best it can be.. i usually run with minimal gear with all the weight toward the front (boat rides well in the water), the bottom is slick as can be. The prop doesn't seem to be too worn down, but its hard to tell.. According to GD its the right size prop, so I'm not sure what is going on
Was on a boat once that the guy use to jump stumps with... all the weight had to be in the front for it to get on plane... take a good look at the bottom.. I think if the prop was worn you would turn more RPM's than usual?
Old 12-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Bufflehead

Get a mechanic to do a compression test. Had similar issues on m,y old one and that was the problem...one cylinder was leaking and of course only was an issue under load
Old 12-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Teal

@Bayport... did you have to get a new motor or what was the fix? and thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Bufflehead

Quote:
@Bayport... did you have to get a new motor or what was the fix? and thanks for the suggestion
It was pretty old so I bought a new 23 kohler and did the necessary work to mount it to the GD frame
But if that is it, and it's worth it to u you can most likely get it repaired/rebuilt...but others probably know more about those than my...
Old 12-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Teal

@bayport was that a hard swap? I'd rather invest in a new motor vs fixing a late 90's model.. I saw someone swap a 16hp for a 22hp predator, I'm not a big fan of the knock off engines
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 PM
Bufflehead

Quote:
@bayport was that a hard swap? I'd rather invest in a new motor vs fixing a late 90's model.. I saw someone swap a 16hp for a 22hp predator, I'm not a big fan of the knock off engines
No
Pretty easy
Cut the shaft to length
Tap 2 or 4 holes in the block that are already drilled
Took the throttle linkage off my old one and used that
Is it's a Koehler?
I think I paid around 1600 delivered for a 23
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayport View Post
No
Pretty easy
Cut the shaft to length
Tap 2 or 4 holes in the block that are already drilled
Took the throttle linkage off my old one and used that
Is it's a Koehler?
I think I paid around 1600 delivered for a 23
@bayport no its a Briggs and Stratton.. what motor did you have/ switch too? I'm heavily considering doing this.. but i have to do it with minimal fabrication because I am super limited on the fabrication I can do lol
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Bufflehead

Quote:
@bayport no its a Briggs and Stratton.. what motor did you have/ switch too? I'm heavily considering doing this.. but i have to do it with minimal fabrication because I am super limited on the fabrication I can do lol
I have a kholer
If u r concerned I wouldn't attempt it alone
U could also contact go Devil and ask warren what he thinks U should do
The could prob ship u a ready to bolt on engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: